would it be smart to wait for next years mac pro? ( did not wait, thanks everyone)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davelanger, Aug 31, 2010.

  1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

    Mar 25, 2009
    would it be smart to wait for next years mac pro with all the upgrades it will be getting and the new OS? I was going to buy one now, but I really dont need to, I could probably get another year out of my power pc G5.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816


    Aug 29, 2009
    Exactly this! If you play the waiting game, you could be waiting forever. There is no reason to do that if you need something right now. If you don't need it, don't buy it, if you do then go buy it.

    The latest Mac Pro is great and there is no reason anyone would be unhappy with it.
  4. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 25, 2009
    My computer is 6 years old, so I do need a new one soon, but I heard apple will be changing the chip set next year with a new os, so that is why I was thinking of waiting.
  5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816


    Aug 29, 2009
    They change things every year. What is to stop you from waiting another year after next for a new one? And the year after that? It's clear that you need a new computer, if you think waiting another year is worth it to you then do it, but don't expect the new ones to be that different from the current ones.

    A new chipset and processors would be faster, but they are so fast right now it is not like someone with a year old Mac Pro is going to think they missed out.

    Apple won't be adding anything in the new OS that requires the new ones.

    You buy what you need when you need it. The waiting game is never needed unless there is a release coming soon, you don't have the money, or you don't really need it right now. If there is something you don't like about the current ones, something missing, I can understand waiting. Otherwise you might as well just buy it.
  6. 3282868 macrumors 603

    Jan 8, 2009
    With Sandybridge, USB 3.0, FireWire 1600, perhaps Lightpeak, and perhaps hardware features 10.7 specific around the corner, if you don't need it, I'd wait.
  7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816


    Aug 29, 2009
    If any of those things are something you really see missing from the current Mac Pro, then yeah, it might be best to wait.

    Here is my opinion:

    Sandbridge - Cool but not going to be such a huge jump in performance for anything but the most demanding users.
    USB 3.0 - Overrated, not that great to have honestly. Anyone using external drives should be using eSATA, so it's not worth it.
    FireWire 1600 - Seems like vaporware, I honestly doubt this is going to happen.
    Lightpeak - Not coming anytime soon.
    Hardware features in 10.7 - Apple has not done this in a long time, they seem to focus on software more than ever now. When they do hardware, it's accessories you can buy, not hardware built into the computer.
  8. mulo macrumors 68020


    Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    yah, I'm a lot more excited for the ivy bridge, should allow for a 16 core xeon setup too :p
    and bring four physical cores to the MBP's
  9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2010
    USB 3.0: good for large flash drives
    FireWire 1600: junk, useless considering Lightpeak will be faster
    Lightpeak: we may get it considering Apple has ~9 months until the server chips are out enough
  10. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 25, 2009
    Well if I want it more for gaming than anything else, wouldnt faster be better?
  11. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Then you should get a PC with Windows 7; would save you quite a bit of money there. Plus Windows 7 is an excellent OS.
  12. sboerup macrumors 6502

    Mar 8, 2009
    All of these rumors about "the next" Mac Pro are just heresay . . . nothing solid, nothing confirmed. Let's see, if Sandy Bridge is made available to public (not just to Apple) at the end of this year, the earliest we would see it in the next Mac system is AT LEAST 1 year from now.

    If you need a new computer now, get it, the last 3 years of Mac Pro's are awesome machines, with the 2010 being the best so far. No need to wait, get it and enjoy it now. Then sell it if you think the 2011 is THAT much better, Mac Pro's hold a good resale value.
  13. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 25, 2009
    I was looking at a pc but the quality is just not the same, and I would miss OSX too much.
  14. johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    I've been flip-flopping between the 4-6 core MP decision. I'm currently leaning toward the 3.2 Quad with the idea that I'll flip it and upgrade to the SB hex when it's released in 2012(?). My thinking is that the bus, memory, and IO improvements will be quite significant for the SB release. i.e. no sense in popping for the 2010 Hex when the current state of affairs with multi-processor compliant programs is so damn poor. I think we're 12-24 months away from any significant change on that front. :(

    FWIW, I wouldn't count on Apple releasing SB MP in 2011. Just doesn't look likely given their slow rollout.

    Sooooooooooo.................... happy shopping, and friends don't let friends buy Win 7 machines. :p
  15. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Oct 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    If you can wait, yes. If you're going to be NEEDING a new computer no later than a year from now, then I wouldnt.

    Yes, the best time to buy a computer is always 6 months from the current date, but this is a bit special.

    Both USB3 (and maybe lightpeak) and SATA III are around the corner. These are important interfaces that dont get updated very often at all. USB2 has been around since 2000, and SATA II has been around since 2005 or so.

    Granted, the importance of this depends on what you used your computer for. If you are going to be using top of the line SSDs over the next 5 years, then SATA II might be an unfortunately limitation for you. If you are going to start using SSDs whenever they become standard just because they're faster, SATA II might not be all that bad for you. The same goes for USB3.

    Yes, there's always something around the corner with technology, but there's a LOT of **** right around the corner at the time being. If you're just waiting for Sandy Bridge, though, dont bother.
  16. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 25, 2009
    That is a good point since SB is going to be fall of next year at best, and could be pushed to 2012, I could wait until the end of the year since there are a ton of console games coming out that could hold me over.

    I ll probably wait until nov or dec to see how close SB is and if its still far off then get one then.
  17. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    The Sandy Bridge parts that would be used in the MP's won't even release until Q3/Q4 2011 (EP <2x QPI> and EN <1x QPI> parts respectively = LGA2011, aka Socket R). This means that we likely won't see those systems surface until 2012 (it's possible to get EP based systems out at the tail end, but would be cutting it close; if EN parts are used, 2012 is a definite). That may be too long of a wait for you.

    I realize that Apple's gotten Intel chips earlier than the competition in the past, but given recent history, I don't think that'll be the case anymore.

    If your primary usage is gaming, you may want to consider the Hackintosh route (definitely cheaper; includes using a system from a different vendor, not just DIYing a system), or a PC for gaming + Mini for OS X (should work out cheaper this way given the recent MSRP's of MP's).
  18. ovrlrd macrumors 65816


    Aug 29, 2009
    Honestly if you are getting it for gaming there isn't going to be much that SB offers you.
  19. Username652719 macrumors newbie

    Aug 4, 2010
    sata 3.0 alone will make waiting worthwhile.
  20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816


    Aug 29, 2009
    This could be true, but really only if you are interested in SSD. You can also always add a SATA 3.0 controller in one of the PCI-E slots. Same with USB 3.0 or FireWire 1600.
  21. malch macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2008
    nanofrog - - do you think SATA 3 will make it into the next Mac Pro release?
    I'm not that interested in USB 3, because with my current MacBook Pro I use (e)SATA for editing, and like it a lot; I can't see ever needing USB drives.
    But if SATA 3 would make a big difference when it comes to editing, I guess that would be nice— not that I'm complaining about things now, except for the hellishly long time it takes to convert AVCHD and import into Avid. But that may be a processor thing, and not something that would be helped by SATA 3.

    With regards to the poster's question, I find myself wondering too if not just SATA 3, but LightPeak and whatever else the new chip architecture has going for it would make the SB release something worth waiting for. But already, of course, people are saying no, wait for Ivy Bridge... frustrating.
    Cheers, malch
  22. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Oct 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    How many SATA 3.0 controllers could a current Mac Pro support?
  23. iondot macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2008
    Yes. But if your main reason is gaming, you should switch to PC and build a rig based on the games you like.
  24. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    I should think so, as SB will get a new chipset (BTW, has Gen. 3.0 PCIe lanes = 1GB/s per lane), which should be accompanied by a new I/O Controller Hub (ICH).

    This is a separate chip that actually contains the SATA, USB, and Ethernet controllers, and is connected to the chipset (likely named as the ICH11 series). As SATA 3.0 is already gaining momentum, particularly due to SSD's (6.0Gb/s mechanical has surfaced, but can't even saturate 3.0Gb/s), it should be included (I'd be shocked if it wasn't). :D

    Given Intel has a vested interest LP and Intel's mention of USB 3.0 support won't show until 2012 (gives LP a chance to take off), the USB controller will likely still be 2.0 (though as you indicate, doesn't matter to you).

    Light Peak may be provided at that point as well, as inclusion could be the difference of whether or not Intel includes it on the new ICH or if a separate chip is needed (I suspect the latter is far more likely, and means Apple may or may not choose to add it to their systems).
  25. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009

    Oh no...IT'S STARTING AGAIN...

    Already. :eek:

Share This Page