Would it be stupid to use my upgrade for........

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Jun 7, 2011.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

A white iPhone 4? I have the black one now but I wanted the white 4 since day 1..... My acct is saying I'm able to upgrade as of yesterday... I kinda thought apple might have announced a 5 yesterday..I would have just gotten that in white... Now I just don't know..lol

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure why you thought apple was going to release the IP5 yesterday because all signs pointed to no. In fact apple had said no new hardware at WWDC.

Anyways, I'd wait, why spend 200 bucks and lock into a 2 year contract for just a color. You'll not get any other benefit.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I don't think it would be stupid, especially if you are eligible for upgrades yearly. Of course they may change it so you won't be eligible for a yearly upgrade again, so you may want to consider your decision carefully and whether you will be happy with the iPhone 4 for 18 months.
    I would suspect a new phone is coming when iOS 5 is ready this fall. It may be worth the wait.

4. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i just did this yesterday pm i have a black 16gb and really wanted a 32gb and love the white so i used the upgrade on my line as i get yearly upgrades so im going to sell my 16gb and that will help with the cost and ill do the same thing next year been doing it since the original :D

i was holding off just to make sure there was no spec bump and the minute the keynote ended my order went through lol.

5. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Agree with Maflynn. It makes no sense it upgrade your phone now, to the same phone in a different colour and be tied to another long term contract. Definitely hold off til ~September for the release of iOS 5 and almost certainly the 5th generation iPhone. If you get it now, you'll regret it in a couple of months definitely.

6. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Am I going to be able to upgrade yearly now ? Or is it a one time thing? Also how is everybody so certain there will be another phone in the fall?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No. I believe this was changed by AT&T in January. It's 18 months now. Before, it was annually if your bill was over $100. If you upgrade now, you won't be eligible till December 2012.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No, we are not certain. But, the chances are awfully good. Android come out with 1000 devices a year. Apple releases one new device per year on iphones.
    Apple cannot afford to just not release new iphone.

If you really want white iphone 4, go buy. It will run iOS 5.0 without any issues. It will probably run iOS 6.0 as well.

My recommendation is to wait for 3-4 months. Expect the announcement in september and expect the release in late September or October for iPhone 5.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes, that is what I have been hearing as well. That is why I mentioned it.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

11. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Every time Apple have released the new iOS software, a new iPhone model has been released alongside it (which makes perfect sense). "Look our brand new iPhone and all these features blah blah blah"

iOS 5 is being released in the fall.. it would make complete sense to release the iPhone 5 alongside it

12. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does all make sense!! I guess I will wait it out.... Maybe I can end up with a white 5 :eek:

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816