Would it be stupid...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jblack4083, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

To get the 2.4GHz MBP over the 2.2GHz MBP if I'm trying to go to college for engineering and if not engineering then Architecture? I hear they do some 3D graphics work and CAD as part of the curriculum. Will the 128 in the 2.2GHz model be sufficient? And if it is, what would the advantages of getting the 2.4GHz 256Mb VRAM model for 500 dollars more. I'm trying to see if the 500 dollars would be worth it for college. If it's worth it I'll do it but if not then I would just get the 2.2GHz model.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The 2.4GHz isn't that much faster, only about 10% or so. I'd stick with the lower end model and save the money.

3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Your problem will be in finding good engineering software to run on your MBP, not in processing power. Most serious engineering apps are Windows-only, which sucks, but at least you don't need a top of the line Mac.

4. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

I can use whatever "parallels" like solution there is in Leopard so I'm not worried. Do you lose power when you use those things though?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You do lose power, because you are running two operating systems at once. Although if you use Boot Camp you get all the power that the system has to offer.

6. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

using BC isn't a problem even though i have to reboot. But maybe in Leopard that "Bootcamp" feature will make it so that you don't have to actually reboot but you can still use Windows and don't lose power.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well then you should hope that Apple will release this feature.

8. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Even if it's not included I'll just get Parallels or use Bootcamp. Bootcamp wouldn't be bad since I dont lose power but at the same time is the power loss of Parallels THAT bad that I wont be able to run a CAD program or something?

And will the 2.2GHz with 128Mb VRAM be sufficient for CAD. What about 2 years down the line?

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

By the time you get to the classes where you will need the extra speed for 3D CAD (junior/senior years) both processors will be rather slow compared to the latest technology. It is hard to buy a computer today to run programs three years from now. If you don't plan to get another computer during college, I would recommend getting the best one you can afford now. But that $500 could make a nice down payment on another model in three years which would no doubt be faster than the 2.4 GHz that is currently available.

10. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

That's true. I'm getting a new one in 3 years anyway. I just don't know how those programs work at colleges. So i figure that the 2.2 will be good for 3 years from now when I'm ready to get a new one. And by then I will be getting into the intense classes as I will be entering Junior Year in college. Will the 2.2 serve it's purpose in 2 years when I'm a sophomore and maybe need to do some CAD or something?

11. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

You will be fine...
    http://barefeats.com/rosa03.html

Honestly, you could do a lot more good with that $500 than 128MB of VRAM and 200MHz...

You will probably not notice any difference, and if you did... it wouldn't be $500 worth of a difference.

Do yourself a favor, invest that $500 in books. Or even better yet, a small mutual fund that maybe in three years will bring you more money.

12. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. After everybody's comments I decided on getting the 2.2GHz despite it's smaller HD. I'll just do a search here on deleting the unnecessary crap. I have 12 Gigs of music and probably 6 gigs of pictures. No video. So 120 should be sufficient.

How much does a Windows partition take up? Will that reduce my space since I plan to eventually use Windows in either Bootcamp or Parallels

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That depends on how many apps you plan on using and how much space you plan on taking up with it. For light usage, 20GB should be fine, but if you install a lot of programs you'll need more.

14. seany916 macrumors 6502

I'd like to rec the lower end MBP because it's the best laptop value in the entire Mac lineup in my opinion.

In your major, I would confer with a few professors and find out what programs you'll need to run. A PC might be a better choice for you in this case.

Agree with the $500 in a mutual fund. I'd just drop in a decent CD and keep rolling it. That is great advice. Thank you to the person who posted it.

15. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

See, I'm not in college yet. The 120Gb bothers me though especially since I'll be using 20Gb for the Windows under "light usage". I'm thinking to just use the engineering departments computers or something. I'm about a day away and I have to decide between 120 and 160Gb. Sucks becasue I cant change it. Is there any website that changes hard drives for a fee. If I need to I might just go with one of those companies and get the 120Gb. Now it's a 120 vs. 160 thing

16. iCliché macrumors newbie

iCliché

It is possible to change your MBP's HD, but from what I've heard it's time-consuming and dangerous :eek:. There is a how-to. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2119528,00.asp.
    I've changed my HD a few times, but I think it's easier on an iBook than a MBP.
    You can always use the 500$ you save and pay a genius to do it :rolleyes:.

17. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

does Parallels use a partition? And what exactly is the power loss. I am getting the 2.4 BTW because I can't seem to find the 2.2 ANYWHERE in NY

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Parallels does not use a partition, it uses a virtual drive. Windows is contained inside one giant file that can expand or contract to save disk space depending on how much space windows is taking up.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Quite a bit different from your first post. Have you checked your school's website to see if they have certain requirements? I don't think that a 2.2 mbp would be underpowered, but there might be some other things you and I can't think of at this moment. It's always a good idea to check out the college's webpage (major specific now!) when it comes to buying a computer. Thankfully, us liberal arts majors have no problems bringing in Macs (I think it's almost a rule to own one:p).

20. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

For the computer science side of engineering, you can probably get away using terminal, and then a range of programming programs that will run on OSx fine ... as well as your windows partition under bootcamp or whatever you choose.

Architecture... really, all you are goin to be using that isn't mac compatible are some 3d rendering programs and C.A.D. I was in architecture freshman year and never had a problem with my computer. I ran CAD on the school machines when I had to, and then made my presentations (which you will find are quite a large part of the architecture curriculum) on my mac after saving files to things for photoshop and illustrator etc, which your mac would be 100 times better for.

I am now in industrial design and use solidworks and a few other windows only programs via parallels and find no problems with it at all on my CD macbook pro, so the 2.2 should be GREAT. I wouldn't worry too much.

Save the 500 and buy an external monitor... a 22 inch lcd would be quite a better investment. You'll be able to use it as you upgrade computers, and for rendering and when you have a lot of files open for presentations you will DEFINITELY appreciate that extra space. Trust me, that is something you will like once you hav eto start assembling and doin a lot of computer work designing in engineering or arch. I picked up my 22inch for 215 open box at best buy. You can find plenty of good ones for under 300.... Spend the extra 200 after that on a big external, that you can back up your system image on AND store all your old projects and files and such as you move on and keep only your current semesters work on your laptop. This should save space and also be a good solution for backup, saving files and good for moving from computer to computer :)

Goodluck!

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Not all that much in VMWare. but no power loss in boot camp.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have to second Bootcamp too. It makes more sense for heavy programs. No need to be taxing your system (as good as it is) without cause.

23. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Why don't you order online?

24. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Because it won't even ship before I have a chance to just go to the store to buy one. 7-10 days it's currently quoting. Even on Sunday when it was 5-7 days I still would have made it to the store before that. Unless they don't get ANY this week at all. Likely?

25. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The online estimates normally overestimates the shipping time just to be safe in my experience. In any case, you call the apple store every day to check their stock or ask what day they get new shipments. Or maybe order one online and cancel it if your store gets stock.