Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
do whatever

this isn't the kind of thing you should have moral quandaries about

if you walked up and told tim cook you were doing this he would be like, i see marcus, well i hope you end up getting a wonderful apple device that you'll love

and if you told the blue-shirt person at the apple store s/he would say, i see marcus, well i hope you end up getting a wonderful apple device that you'll love
Yes, that's what they'd say in public.

Behind closed doors they'll be looking for ways to reduce this behavior. It's a cost.

For me, personally, I'd either wait for the machine I really want, or get one right now and stick with it. The thought of migrating laptop twice leaves me cold. Touchbar or not.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
If you already know you're going to return it, you'll be violating the expectation aspect of the policy :
[...] Standard Return Policy
We fundamentally believe you will be thrilled with the products you purchase from the Apple Store. That’s because we go out of our way to ensure that they’re designed and built to be just what you need. We understand, however, that sometimes a product may not be what you expected it to be. In that unlikely event, we invite you to review the following terms related to returning a product.[...]
http://www.apple.com/shop/help/policies

The policy depends on the honesty of both the company and the buyer.

Reactions: CoastalOR

Mercaptan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Agreed. I'm pretty sure people doing this kind of thing is already figured into their pricing.

Who gives a ****, really? We are not talking about some third world company, we are talking about Apple, one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest company in the world. I would say take advantage of every policy that they have.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Who gives a ****, really? We are not talking about some third world company, we are talking about Apple, one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest company in the world. I would say take advantage of every policy that they have.

And when they go to an "all sales final" policy we will have this attitude to blame.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It really is a waste of resources, packaging, shipping, delivery, shipping in return, delivery in return, repackaging, restocking. Apple does NOT care as much as you people think. They have built an entire refurb platform that somewhat relies on new products being returned. It's only a waste of resources on the planet which both the returner and Apple share the responsibility.

Reactions: intelligence

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Hi guys,

My laptop is on its last legs (Windows). I can't use it without being plugged in 24/7 plus the display is nearly dead and extremely slow. I would really like to pick up a new MBP and exchange it for the touchbar version when it becomes available. Is this possible, and would you guys consider it to be unethical? And how would one approach the store for something like this?

If you have to ask the question, you really already know the answer, and you are seeking some validation from some folks with little or no ethics.

With ethics the proven theory is: "If it looks like it's unethical, it most likely is"; and since you asked the question, you must think it looks unethical.

m

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That is most likely what I am going to do. I actually did not plan on buying the new Mac at all. I purchased the 13" no TB, but for only $300 more I will probably buy the 13" TB. I bought it from best buy and am elite plus so have a 45 day return policy.

I didn't plan on doing this, but I have the TB fever.

NerosNeptune

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
They are charging 200 dollars to get from 8GB to 16GB RAM on their professional level laptop (how much does 8GB of RAM even cost now? more than $50?). They are the richest company in the world. I say do whatever their policies allow. Tim Cook won't be crying over it if he finds out.

Reactions: CreativeC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.