Would it be worth $50 to get a refurbed 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Aug 16, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have a Sprint iPhone 4S. It has a few deep scratches on the back and the oleophobic coating has worn off. It has AppleCare+ until November.

I'm planning on switching to AT&T so I won't be able to use this one, even as a backup phone (do people still keep these?). I called up Apple to ask about getting the back replaced and they said they couldn't but I could use one of my AC+ claims and get a refurbed one for $50.

Would this be worth it as far as resale value goes? I know Sprint is losing some customers and it's not 4G, so that hurts it, but it's still a solid phone. Or would I be better off just selling it as is?

I will say that not having the oleophobic coating is annoying.

2. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

They can't replace it?
    That seems odd. If it was mine I would get a refurb.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm thinking of that, to help with resale value.

And I've read online that they can replace them for $29, at least the back. Not sure about the front. I'm guessing if they replace them both, at least if it's a bit more than $50, it'll be better since it's an original? Or would that even matter on a 2 year old phone.

If I do do this I think I'd pick up an OtterBox or other hefty protective case to make sure it stays fresh. I'm planning to upgrade in a couple of months so I want it to look as nice as possible.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok. I still haven't switched. AppleCare+ ends in late November and I'm just waiting for gold iPhone availability before switching.

Any opinions on paying the $50 now for a refurbished one? I don't know if it'll add that much value, especially if selling to Gazelle or something like that. It could help on here or eBay.

Thoughts?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its just scratches in the back and the rest is fine I'd just get the back plate replaced.
    Its $29 at Apple and probably cheaper online.
    Its very easy to replace, it just slides out by taking the 2 screws on the bottom off.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

That and the oleophobic coating has worn off. Or whatever it's called.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Check eBay. You'll be able to buy a back cover for like $20 I imagine. $2 for a screwdriver and job done.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think that would make such a difference if you sell a used phone.
    How would one be able to tell the amount of coating worn off or not? As long as the screen is not scratched or cracked then the oleo coating doesn't really matter.

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a little harder to keep clean.

I guess I was just thinking of getting it replaced since they won't have that option once they get it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AppleCare stays with the phone.
    So even though you sell it the new owner can go and get replacements at any time.
    Also make sure you tell potential buyers that you have applecare plus coverage on it and if anything happens its only going to cost them $50 to get a new phone.
    I wouldn't waste 1 of the 2 replacements for a back glass piece.
    I'd stick a screen protector on the front and pay $15-20 to get a new back online.

11. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleCare ends late November. I'll be looking to sell early or mid November.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    So you had it for 2 years now and applecare expires in November.

13. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactamundo.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool.
    Close call. Question is, will spending the $50 to get a replacement net you over $50 more than what you would get on selling your 4S the way it is now?
    I know sprint 4S iphones don't bring that much when resold anyway.

15. youngpole macrumors member

What I suggest you do is:

1. Since on AppleCare, pay extra for getting a refurb.
    2. Keep it. For a long time.
    3. Wait until people will be going crazy over a mint condition iPhone 4S, refurbished, thus straight from Apple and not messed with by anyone with a screwdriver.
    5. PROFIT.

16. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yup. That's why I figured I'd look for some expert opinion on here. I think Gazelle is offering $150. There's not much of a market for Sprint ones though.

17. bigboy2011 macrumors newbie

i just sold to gazelle. A broken 4s (dropped 80 lb dumbbell on it at gym) for $80. Was very fast and easy! the phone was really messed up so i was surprised i got it for $80 lol

18. Jmclark macrumors regular

I used AppleCare+ a month ago with my 4S and I'm pretty sure I got a brand new 4S. If it wasn't new then it was as close to new as you could get. I'd definitely say it's worth it.

19. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's interesting. I mean, I know it's only $50, but I'd hate to spend that and only get $10 more than if I hadn't.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    You gotta figure out if its worth it or not.

21. youngpole macrumors member

My plan once again, get a refurb, keep it for further resale value which will inevitably increase. And just get it unlocked from sprint.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know if the price will increase for a 4S.
    Its already over 2 years old and the older it gets the more the price will continue to drop.

23. roccobladr macrumors 6502

If I had the extra 50$ I would do it. I mean you spent the money on apple care in the first place. I'd personally rather be out of 150$ but have a new (refurb) phone as opposed to having paid 99$ and not taking advantage of it.

If the market isn't good why not find some other use for it? Can you unlock it? Mint condition digital picture frame? Use it as a mint condition GPS?

24. youngpole macrumors member

When I say keep it, I mean keep it. With a big K. 10 years, 20 years.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

A refurb will also have a new battery ;)

Selling a refurb BNIB will probably net you a little more, maybe not enough to cover $50, but at least the sale will be much quicker.