Would it make sense to keep ML if Mavericks is running well??

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bigpoppamac31, Jul 22, 2014.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I have an external back up drive which has a CCC backup of my internal drive. The backup drive was last updated prior to updating to Mavericks on my internal drive. Therefore my backup drive is bootable into ML 10.8.5. I've been running Mavericks since 10.9.3 was released and haven't experienced any issues with it. For me it has been running quite smoothly. Would it make any sense to keep my ML backup and simply update the contents (can I even do that?) or just write over it with Mavericks. I can't see a reason to go back to ML at this point. My backup drive which is 1TB is partitioned in to two equal spaces. My entire contents fits on either half.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I guess since you have the drive space and it is not costing you anything, there is no harm in it. But I can't imagine why you would need it any longer. It makes sense to clone like you did to make sure all your apps etc work well with Mavs, but it sounds like you are beyond that phase.

I would just erase it.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm okay. I thought also about making space on my internal drive and putting the contents of my movies folder onto the external drive and removing them from the internal drive. One half of my backup would have my movies and the other would have a clone of my internal drive with an empty movies folder. I don't watch them often enough to keep them on my internal drive taking up space. If I want to watch any of them I can just plug in my external and watch them like that. They are not movies from iTunes.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The downside to that is your movies would only be on one drive and not really backed up anywhere, so if that external fails, the movies are all fine. :eek:

If you don't mind losing the movies or have them backed up somewhere else, sure that sounds like a good plan.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I just want to free up space on my internal drive. I still have 127GB free. But my movies folder is about 228GB on a 500GB drive.

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks with a fresh install after initially having problems with Lion. Upgrading to Mavericks was the best thing I did and it solves all of the teething problems Lion had.