Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Before iTunes match, you had to pay a fee to upgrade your DRM iTunes files. Would this essentially replace that?

photocopy

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
I believe the answer is no. iTunes+ Upgrades are still active.

With that said, it probably would work if you burned your songs to CD and re-ripped them.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Heh, so random files that could very well be illegal, are eligible, but legal Apple DRM files are not.. that makes sense! (not)

Thanks for the replies!

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The first two replies are wrong. After matching your library iTunes will classify your DRM files as purchased, and will show that they have bit rate of 128kbps. In order to upgrade those to the 256kbps non-DRM versions, delete them and re-download them from the cloud.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
The first two replies are wrong. After matching your library iTunes will classify your DRM files as purchased, and will show that they have bit rate of 128kbps. In order to upgrade those to the 256kbps non-DRM versions, delete them and re-download them from the cloud.

I can confirm that this is true.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Weird, I had one song that ended up being listed as ineligible that was a Protected AAC file (from the iTMS before the DRM was removed), but many others that were recognized and allowed me to redownload them (they weren't recognized when I posted the first time). Good to know.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.