Would Jailbreak waive the warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by YonInDoubt, Jul 1, 2011.

1. YonInDoubt macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I might be asking about something already covered, but my searching did not return clear info.. :-(

I went to buy an iPad2 today, but when I found out that I can't edit xls files unless trasferred via iTunes, can't even download them from my email, can't actually download anything over air I decided it's not worth it.

BUT now I read about JBing, and it seems there is a way to make this otherwise great gadget a bit more user-friendly & usable.

My question is would the warranty of the iPad2 be lost once eventually JBed?

Thank you!

2. jailbreakFiend macrumors member

Well, jailbreak is not quite out yet. We're all eagerly waiting as it should be out any day now.

As far as warranty, I don't believe it does as really you could just restore it to the original firmware available in case you have to bring it back.

Ultimately, if you plan on jailbreaking, make sure you save your 4.3.3 SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella(that should be yours if you just bought it) right away so that you can restore to it later on.

Hope this helps.

3. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I believe it does. However, if you were to have some sort of problem which required a Genius appointment, you just need to restore to stock Apple firmware. They won't know you have jailbroken.

4. Siggen macrumors 6502

A Jailbreak waive's the warranty, and leaves permanent traces.

Do not worry, a restore to apple firmware will do, cause they NEVER check for traces after a jailbreak.

This is the basic repair schedule for any iOS device:

1. Check: Has the device been physically tempered with or is it water damaged? (If no go to next step/If yes send it back)
    2. Test: Does it work? (If no go to next step/If yes send it back)
    3. Restore, Test: Does it work? (If no go to next step/If yes send it back)
    4. Replace the device with a new one and send it back.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

where'd you pull that from?

A restore covers all traces of the jailbreak.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

Only one of the things you posted was accurate.

Covered a bazillion times since the very first jb. You must have used the wrong search terms.

100% False. DocsToGo, one of many.

True.

False.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Nobody gives a straight answer?

If the iPad is jailbroken the warranty is void.

If you are able to restore the iPad to the official firmware then the warranty is valid.

If you can't restore the phone's firmware because of any technical issue then Apple will deny the warranty if they can tell it's jailbroken. And they will check.

:cool:

8. YonInDoubt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you, guys!
    So we only have to wait for the JB to come now :)

9. Siggen macrumors 6502

Im sorry, your right about userland jailbreaks not leaving permanent traces, but I'm pretty certain most other jailbreaks do.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

False. You need to do more readings before giving false advise. I am certain you are a noob and noob shouldn't give wrong information because you are misleading other noobs.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nope, a restore covers all traces of the jailbreak. It essentially wipes the device, then when you restore the software is completely reinstalled so there is simply no way for anything to be left behind.

12. Siggen, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

Siggen macrumors 6502

I have restored custom firmware many times without entering Pwn'ed DFU modus, after entering to it once. Do you not call that a permanent trace?

http://senseiphone.com/pwned-dfu-mode-0130202/

EDIT:
    also pwnage tool asks if your device have ever been in Pwned dfu modus before

Also, you should just quit using Ad hominem attacks, its childish and totaly off topic.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

This link is irrelevant.

If you put the device into normal DFU mode, then do a Restore to Factory firmware and DO NOT restore from a backup there is NO trace of a jailbreak. None.

14. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 and after a few weeks the sleep button broke. I just restored it and took it to the Apple store. They plugged it into their computers and checked it out. Then gave me a new iPhone 4.

Just make sure you restore it before bringing it to the Apple store.

15. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Jail breaking does void the warranty but only if apple knows about it. During a restore of and iPad there is a process that does a secure erase on the device removing any traces of user information and also any traces of a jailbreak.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, jailbreaking does NOT void the hardware warranty. If your home button physically stops working on its own, being jailbroken doesn't void that coverage.

However, they won't provide OS/app support to jailbroken iPads. If you visit the Genius Bar because your iPad "is running slow", they're going to tell you to unjailbreak and if the problem persists, make another appointment.

17. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

i think the only wau that apple genius can find if u ve had done jb is to jb it again n see if u have made your life easier on cydia, i mean if u have shsh for 4.0 4.1 4.2.1 etc ;)

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Excel files can be downloaded from your email, you just have to install an app that opens that file type first. There are several apps that open excel, including Numbers, Documents2Go, QuickOffic, etc.

There are also apps that lets you transfer files wirelessly. Thing about the iPad is a lot of functions aren't there natively, but there often is an app for them.

Oh, and if you are planning to get an iPad 2, there isn't a jailbreak out for it yet, though there are rumors that one might be released any day now. However, if you are still convinced that you need to JB, you might want to wait until a JB is actually released before buying the iPad 2. Or you could get an used iPad 1.

19. YonInDoubt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thank you for your extensive reply! I've actually just got it today, so now I'll have some time to play around before the jb comes out. :)
    Would one of these apps you mention be free? I'm still a bit reluctant to buyi something before trying it out (guess I'm spoiled from the android...

20. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

But even then, you can still save your SHSH blobs without being jailbroken I believe? ;)

21. jesterscourt, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  22. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

yes u can save them in your pc or laptop with tiny umbrela for sure.
    but if u also had them saved through cydia then every time u open cydia the green letters appear on top sayin that u have shsh for 4.1 etc. like this they can prove that once u were jbroken :)

23. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Something tells me you are wrong about it not voiding your hardware warranty. If I jailbreak I can overclock the cpu which in turn has a direct effect on the hardware I could fry my cpu and this would be covered under warrenty according to you.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Since you already have your iPad, open the App Store app on the iPad, do a search for "excel" and "file transfer," then filter for free apps. I usually end up going with a paid app for most of my heavy-use apps, but there are quite a few free apps that are good enough to get by with.

25. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Your concept is wrong. Jailbreak can leave traces IF you restore from JB backup. If you restore it as new iphone then there will be no traces.