Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rofljeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Would all the things like music, videos, apps, etc get deleted from my ipod if i jailbreak it?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Well, sort of. If you jailbreak correctly (I didn't), your music and videos will be temporarily wiped, along with apps. However, I think app save files are stored in the iPod firmware, so you should keep saved games if you use one of your recent backups to jailbreak.

This is speculation, and I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems right. Maybe someone else here knows more?

rofljeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Well, sort of. If you jailbreak correctly (I didn't), your music and videos will be temporarily wiped, along with apps. However, I think app save files are stored in the iPod firmware, so you should keep saved games if you use one of your recent backups to jailbreak.

This is speculation, and I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems right. Maybe someone else here knows more?

Thanks for answering.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
If you use QuickPwn then nothing will get deleted at all. Everything will be exactly the same, but you will have cydia.

If you use PwnageTool, you will lose everything, because you need to restore your phone to apply the jailbreak.

Munix88

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
If you are planning on jailbreaking the iPod Touch 2G then I'm pretty sure you have to use the PwnageTool which does in fact wipe your iPod clean.

I think it's worth it though for the themes, etc. and not too big a problem if you have your apps and music backed up in iTunes.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
If you are planning on jailbreaking the iPod Touch 2G then I'm pretty sure you have to use the PwnageTool which does in fact wipe your iPod clean.

Yes, this is true. When I restored my iPod, I used a blank ipsw (downloaded from apple) and it erased all my save files. I don't think this would happen if you used a backed up ipsw instead.

chanhuff

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
How do you create a backed up ispw. I have my iPod backed up but in this folder C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ there is just a bunch of files for the backup.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Assuming that you are running Windows and have a 2nd Gen ipod touch, use this program called QuickFreedom. If you are using a Mac, try it in running windows in boot camp or parallels. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post rapidshare links. So PM me for the link.

senter(left)

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
LA
hey guys, i just jailbroke using quick freedom, and it restored the ipod with the custom firmware, now itunes detected a new ipod and is asking me if i want to start a new one or restore from back up. i want all my old stuff and i backed it up right before i jailbroke, but im just wondering if doing this messes up the jailbreak. thanks =]

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2008
hey guys, i just jailbroke using quick freedom, and it restored the ipod with the custom firmware, now itunes detected a new ipod and is asking me if i want to start a new one or restore from back up. i want all my old stuff and i backed it up right before i jailbroke, but im just wondering if doing this messes up the jailbreak. thanks =]

I put restore from backup and my iPod was EXACTLY the way it was(settings everything) before I jailbroke. Along with cydia and installer of course :)

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2008

Dont worry when it says restoring in the beginning. I got pissed because at first it looks like its going to restore your firmware back to the original and you would have to jailbreak it again. Thankfully, I chose the right option and it was just "restoring" the old ipod settings etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.