Would like advice on MacBook Pro purchase, please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WesCole, Apr 19, 2011.

1. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I have a $2000 budget. I was debating between a refurbished 15" core i5 (2010 model) with anti-glare screen for $1399 or the base model 2011 with anti-glare screen. I would save ~$450 going with the refurb, but would like to know if the 2011 model is worth the extra money. Also, I would be eligible for the education discount on the 2011 model.

I am also planning on adding an SSD in the opti-bay if that matters.

My uses will be basic programming, office, some video and photo editing, and I will be running Windows 7 in bootcamp and Parallels. Some light gaming will be going on, too.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

IMO, it is worth the extra cash to get the newest model. the Thunderbolt IO could come in handy in the future. Go for the newer one, that will make you future proof. ;)

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Buy what you can afford and still feel good about the purchase. Both of the computers will be able to do what you're asking it to do. You may shave a few seconds or a few minutes here and there with the newer model but a 2010 w/ an SSD is just as fast for many everyday things as the newer ones.

4. punchwalk macrumors regular

Is the SSD purchase part of your $2000 budget? If so, you might be severely limited in putting together a 2011 15" + SSD combo.

It is tough to choose between these scenarios because I don't think $1399 is a great price for a refurb 2010 i5. You should get an i7 (non-SB) for that price. I guess the market is what it is, but I just don't see the right value proposition there.

5. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd go for the 2011 base model with anti-glare screen.

6. WesCole thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I already own an SSD that I will use. I will still have to buy the opti-bay adapter, though.

The $1399 refurb had the anti-glare high-res option, too, though, which would have brought the base price dow to around the $1250 range with the normal glossy screen.

I think I will just go with the base 2011 model w/ anti-galre screen...It will use up pretty much all of my budget, but I think I should be able to make it last a long time.

Thanks for all the advice.