Would like experienced opinion about MBP vs new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hidapriscila, Oct 19, 2008.

1. hidapriscila macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I have a small dilemma and I'm driving my husband crazy. I'm sure some of you are more educated than I, so here it is. Last Saturday, we kinda jumped in and made the decision to buy a new Macbook Pro because Best Buy was offering 2 years same as cash and my darling hubby had said if we could ever do it with 2 years same as cash, he would buy me my snazzy new macbook.

I have used macs alot in the past, but I've currently been using more PC's just from the price/work aspect of things. Anyway, we didn't over analyze our purchase or research it, we just bought it. The next day, we learned that the new ones were coming out Tuesday, just 2 days after we bought ours. The guy who helped us in the store was very helpful, if a little pushy. Constantly warning us how the 2 year financing could end at any point maybe even tomorrow (it didn't). Never once did he mention the new models and certainly not the price reduction.

Aside from the obvious price reduction that took place this week, I'm feeling a little shorted and unhappy with my purchase, even though I like my new MBP. I went in today and talked to them, not a manager though. They said I could return it within 14 days, but they would charge me a restocking fee because the laptop was opened. I understand restocking fees and open merchandise, I own my own retail business and deal with those issues every day. At the same time, if my clerk had failed to mention, hey there are new models coming out next week, I would make it right.

Here's my question to you guys, is there enough of a difference, should I be content or should I pitch a fit and see if they'll exchange the system? They did say they would refund the price drop just by bringing my receipt in, should I just enjoy the extra $200 and be happy?

Thanks for any advice,
    Priscilla:(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By searching the forums, you'll find dozens of threads on this topic, filled with hundreds of opinions and recommendations. The bottom line is, there's not enough of a difference between the new MBP and the previous version to worry about. In fact, I'm very happy I still have my early 2008 model, instead of the new "GlassBook" with the black keyboard and glossy screen. It all depends on what you prefer, but there's not enough of a difference to feel "cheated" by buying an earlier model. While you could get a discount by buying a refurbished model from Apple, you wouldn't get the 2 years same as cash, as you did.

3. tbae12 macrumors member

I think that you should try to get it refunded or exchanged for the new macbook pro. If you like the macbook pro you have now you should return it and get a refund and but one online at amazon or somewhere because ever since the new macbook pros came out the previous generation macbook pros price have dropped. You can get one around $1500 now.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i think the fact that you're asking this question sorta implies that you're unhappy with the macbook pro you have now.

As for the difference between the mac you have now and the new one, it really depends on what you do with it. If it's just regular tasks, then the one you have now will be more than sufficient. But if it's video editing, etc. and processor intensive tasks, the new MBP might have a little bit more benefit.

Like i said, if you're unhappy, go ahead and get it changed or return it.

I think the best option is the one from a cost/benefit analysis. If they refund the difference then great.

If not, get them to swap the new one for you with no extra charge.

5. jTreu macrumors 6502

The old MBP is a better deal imo, but since you already bought the new one i'd stick with it unless theres something that makes it unusable for you, its not a bad machine by any means.

6. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Definitely go back in and talk to a store manager, even if you decide to keep your current MBP you should get some sort of adjustment on the price. If you don't get anywhere you can email some of the Best Buy executives and I'm sure they will help you. (I've emailed them before after having an issue in a store = I received a response the next day from someone). If nothing else, they should waive the restocking fee and let you return the item.

7. sk47 macrumors member

o cmon, there IS a difference, in fact a BIG difference, that if I was in the same position as the OP I would storm into the store and ask for a refund/exchange. Glass screen, unibody (MUCH more sturdy construction), glass trackpad, chiclet keys, new color scheme (much more prettier imo), futureproof better gfx card that won't implode... I mean, the whole damn thing has undergone a facelift.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All minor cosmetic changes, which don't appeal to many of us. No meaningful difference in performance.

9. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I agree, the VAST improvement in the build quality is enough reason to make an exchange. Both the MB and MBP feel as good as Thinkpads. Also if you read around the GPU of the earlier Macbook Pro is known to be faulty and eventually may or may not melt down later on.

Also, do you like glossy screens? I suggest you play with it in the Apple store and see for yourself if you like the new glass screens. (some people hate them, some love them)

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

You did buy the 15" screen and not the 17" screen, correct?

Only the 15" versions were replaced this time around in the MBP family. So if you bought the 17" version, you are "current".

Yourself being in retail, can understand the importance of clearing stock on shelves to make room for new updated stock. Also the fact that BB employees aren't always acting in your best interest would make you understand why with 2 days to go the salesperson was so pushy about selling to you NOW.

For many people here, there isn't much of a difference between the new/old to warrant replacement. But you should take your current MBP into the same BB and compare them for yourself. Run some video and programs to see if you need the updated version but don't rely on forum posts to make your decision for you. You'll always be second guessing until you see it in person.

11. sk47 macrumors member

Ok well if you're going for performance then why don't you just buy an alienware and install hackintosh on it? Please, don't tell me ppl buy mac for pure performance cuz that's bs to the max. Cosmetic changes as drastic as this one is as big as performance changes when it comes to apple products.

Check the pro/con page of the new mbp. You will hardly see any mention of performance, mostly cosmetic complaints/appraise here and there.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you think you're going to convince me or anyone else with your arguments, you're mistaken. The point on performance is, my current MBP has plenty of performance. There are no significant performance improvements in the new MBP. And yes, I DO buy a Mac for performance... the performance of Mac OS X over Windows, as well as the performance of the MBP over many competitive notebooks.

A few cosmetic changes isn't sufficient to justify switching to a new MBP, especially when I find those changes completely undesirable (glassy screen, wide black bezel, black keyboard, Mini DisplayPort, one less Firewire port, shorter battery life). Even the new unibody means having to replace my notebook sleeve.... when they finally make ones that fit the new model.

When I look at the new MBP side-by-side with mine, the only "drastic" changes are, in my opinion, very bad ones!

13. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I was in Best Buy over the weekend and I noticed that they dropped the price of the 17" MBP from $2799 to $2299 (The version w/o the spec updates) I did not see the price for the 15" MBP but it's reasonable to assume they may have dropped it by $400-500 or so.

My advice to the OP would be to go back to Best Buy with your receipt in hand and see if in fact the price fell on the machine you just bought. Best Buy has a 30 day price protection policy and they will refund you the difference if in fact there is one, I've benefitted from this policy several times

It's worth a try.

14. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I'd say that the new MBP are a best product overall.

- The graphic chip is improved. (The old one, the 8600 have very very high rate of failure, wich mean that in about a year you will have to go to an Apple Store (or proceed by mail) to have your MBP logic board replaced...wich mean about a week or two without your laptop.)

- Direct access to the hard drive. Always interesting.

- New aluminium body is way more durable and solid than before. More precise too (so no curved display hinge anymore).

- Faster RAM (DDR3)

True, the new model don't have a FireWire 400 anymore (just FireWire 800) and does not have a DVI port but a miniDVI port (wich mean you will need a 30$ adapter to plug an external screen), but the question is really if you will need use any of those ?

Also, if you eventually feel to sell your used MBP to help pay for a new computer, the new model will have a substantially better value.

My final verdict : Take the new MBP.

15. hidapriscila thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP vs New MBP

Thanks for all your opinions.

Yes, I bought the 15 in 2.4 ghz 200 (or 250) GB machine with the 8600 NVidia graphics card. I specifically upgraded from a regular MB to the Pro because of the Nvidia card. You guys say they have a high failure rate? Is that first gen's or current gens?

The clerks I talked to Sunday basically said I had 14 days to return a computer. This BB had not gotten in the Pros yet, just the MB's though.

I am generally a casual user, but I do plan on editing home movies and alot of photo work. Eventually, I'd like to get the whole set up for transferring vhs & mini-cassette type tapes to my mac so I can preserve them and share them with family burned on DVD. My first dilemma was that my dvd camcorder records on 2 inch discs which the machine can't handle. THen I find out the format is a pain in the butt and I have to go through at least one and possibly 2 other programs to get it into a format for iMovies.

I'm very torn at this point. If I can't get the restocking fee waived, I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the price adjustment (which they did offer me AFTER we asked). I know they are motivated to move the old models, but honesty was circumvented in this transaction. IF I had went to the Apple store, they would have tried to sell me the old one as well, BUT they would have mentioned the new models. If they were in my store, I would mention "Hey, the new model comes out next week or are announced next week." I want my customers to be informed, even if they're like me and are too lazy to do the leg work.

And, I guess that's mostly what it comes down to, I'm mad at myself. I had 3 different people I could have called that would have said that the new ones were being released and I didn't even do that :(

THanks again for all your imput, you are clarifying my thoughts :)

Priscilla

16. hidapriscila thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW, what is direct access to the hard drive?

-Pris

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

A facelift for the better?...i dunno, I think thats quite subjective at this point.

18. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Not really, I was in the Apple Store the Friday before the 10/14 release and I asked an associate what he knew about the "new models" coming out next week and he claimed that he had not heard anything of the sort. I think they are trained to take that position and only deal with the "here & now".

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Take the $200 bucks and be happy. I think the old-style keyboard is better than the new chiclet one. And nobody at BB or an Apple store would have any idea when - or even if - the new ones would be coming out.

20. Panzo macrumors 6502

New macbook pros seem to be very scratch prone, ive had it for a few days and its been scuffed twice from VERY light use, im disappointed, why must aluminum be so scratch prone.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If I were you, I'd just take the restocking fee hit and just take the mbp back.

My reasons:

1) nvidia 8600m gt cards, no matter when it was manufactured, I still feel very iffy on these defective cards and especially if the mbp that you guys got were the older stock just sitting in the back of the best buy as well.

2) Even if you take the restocking fee, later in the months if you guys regret not taking this chance to get the new precious, you'd have to try to resell it on ebay or craigslist taking a even more hit and more stress that comes along with it.

3) The new 9600m gt and the 9400m is very much well worth it. At least we should know that Nvidia has "learned its lesson" with the new cards and should have no future problems or defective die/asic board/substrates in them.

4) The new led on the mbp looks much brighter and looks very very white and no signs of yellow or purple tintish going on with them. Even though matte is gone, glossy does look very nice. [​IMG]

5) The hdd accessibility is MUCH nicer on these new mbp as to the older mbp. I've taken my older mbp's that I used to own apart many times to change out the hdd's and while I can do them under 10 minutes, it still is a pain in the ass. Also once the casing is first opened to upgrade the hdd even by a certified apple technician.. it NEVER looks the same again.

6) The audio glitch/beep/hissing noise is now fixed on the new mbp, perhaps a much better part is used?

7) Left speaker grill sizzling noise issue on the 15" mbps has been fixed!!

22. sk47 macrumors member

Pshh, to each his own, but seems like YOU aren't going to be updating your mbp for a WHILE cuz this design is here to stay (as was the case for the powerbook design of previous mbps and stated by sj himself). And they aren't FEW cosmetic changes... how much more facelifting do you need in order to consider it MANY changes? They pretty much overhauled the entire powerbook look =.=

All I'm saying is that the OP did get "cheated" in a way because she was not informed of the impending release right around the corner for a better-looking, more "powerful" (quote-unquote for your pleasure) for the same price point.

To the OP: go back to the store, and try to return it for the newer model. Its much more futureproof (design and performance-wise). It IS an expensive investment after all.

23. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

In my humble opinion, you just dropped approx. $2,000 and you're not satisfied with your purchase... that indicates that something is horribly wrong and that you need to fix it.

Go back to BB, request to speak to the store manager, and then explain your situation. Tell them that your sales representative was pushy, that he was unaccommodating when you went back to see him, and that you're very unsatisfied with your overall BB experience. Tell them that you expect a full return without the restocking fee, and if they refuse, then raise hell and write a letter to corporate. Make sure to name drop in the process (e.g. Futureshop/U.S. equivalent).

Usually, when it comes to big box stores like BB, they will grant an angry customer what they want (even if the customer is wrong). Trust me on this, if you're professional yet aggressive, you will get your way.

Sorry this happened in the first place! Good luck!

24. drvelocity macrumors member

I hate Best Buy, I really do, but in all honesty it's true that a week before the release of the new systems nobody new for sure what was going to happen. It wasn't until about 5-6 days before the announcement that the invites went out. So you happened to go 1 or 2 days before people started to be confident that the new Macbooks were indeed being released. Before that it really was just a rumor.

How much is the restocking fee? If I were you, I'd first try again for an exchange (restocking fees make more sense on returns than exchanges if you ask me), and if that doesn't work (try more than once), then offer a compromise: a 50% discount on the restocking fee with an exchange for the new model.

25. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm