Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjelder

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
So I got my macbook about a year or so ago, and its starting to show its age. It has fallen from my desk a few times, but surprisingly still functions as strong as day 1. So no issues with its performance, I'd just like to get it looking new again.

Here are some issues with it:

-White plastic surrounding the screen (the part that houses the webcam, has the word "MacBook" on it) has a small crack in it towards the side.

-Keyboard is looking pretty dirty.. tried cleaning it, still has a tint to it. I always wash my hands, I don't know how this happened lol.

-White plastic where my hands rest is a mess.. chipped up, dark spots from where my hands rest.

-Touchpad is faded.

-Outer shell is scuffed up, the battery doesn't quite align right and has a crapload of scratches.

I got the mac protection plan, will this replace cosmetic stuff like this? I try to take good care of it, but after a year and a half of carrying it to class and back every day it's showing its age.

Would I be better off buying some new parts separately? What kind of cost are we looking at? What parts would make sense to replace and what parts am I pretty much stuck with?

Any recommendations on where to buy would be great.
Thanks!

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
wow, so glad I didnt buy that white plastbook. I really wanted to, but then I waited to see if the rumours of a new Macbook were true and they were. Now I'm pretty glad I waited for the Aluminium one.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
apple care will not replace alot. but its worth a shot. the palm rest cracking and the stained keyboard might get replaced. those were both problems on apples part. its worth a shot to see what they will do.

otherwise you are out of luck and will spend close to 500 to replace all the plastic parts.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
You can use a Mr. Clean Magic Easer to clean the top case, which they will most likely replace if you have a crack in at at a common location. They may replace the bottom case for the battery, and if you enough and argue the display crack was caused from pressure against the keyboard, you may even be able to get that replaced.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
you should have gone to apple b4 ur apple care expired and rattled off every problem you could think of.

by doing that i got a new mag safe, keyboard/palm rest, and bottom part of case

but anyways try using one of those magic erasers

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
the discoloring /cracking palmrest will be replaced for free know issue. happened to me twice in less than 6 months. that replacement replaces the keyboard and mouse as well. as for the rest they will replace them but they will probably charge you.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Got my discoloring also replaced just yesterday(free of charge). My :apple:care is up for almost a year also. Nothing is wrong with the plastic macbooks

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
You can use a Mr. Clean Magic Easer to clean the top case, which they will most likely replace if you have a crack in at at a common location. They may replace the bottom case for the battery, and if you enough and argue the display crack was caused from pressure against the keyboard, you may even be able to get that replaced.

^ This.

Mr Clean it so it looks nicer and un-abused, then take it to Apple and see what they'll replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.