Would Like To Stream Live TV.....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mix123, Sep 20, 2008.

1. mix123 macrumors member

Alright, so what I would like to be able to do is stream my eyetv online so I can watch it away from home. I don't need to be able to change channels or anything like that. Im looking for a web based online service that would allow me to do this. Or be able to access the stream via windows media player. VLC is not an option. Any ideas of what's out there??

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You might want to look into using a Sling TV. Not sure how it would work with Mac ... they're designed to work with TVs and STBs.

ft

3. mix123 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately that won't work with eyetv. Any other ideas?

4. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Why can't you use VLC? Apparently it is possible with EyeTV, a program called CyTV and VLC.
    CyTV seems to have been updated and rewritten many times and is free so well done to the developer. I have never tried this out though would be keen to hear how you get on if you give it a go.

Link with more info - says it is possible to watch and change live tv over the internet, (not just LAN)

CyTV

Good Luck
    b.

5. mix123 thread starter macrumors member

I am unable to use VLC on the computers at work. All I have access to is the web and windows media player.

6. mix123 thread starter macrumors member

I think CyTV will work with windows media player. I will have to try the URL that it provides in windows media player and see what happens.

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You don't need anything else for stuff it's already recorded; all you have to do is create a port forwarding rule on your router at home to forward to the port EyeTV uses for it's built in webserver. I did it at my house and it worked great. I was watching stuff I recorded at home on my iPhone at work. Since I sold my iPhone, I haven't used it, but it works. Although, this was with stuff that it had already recorded. I don't think it can stream it live; the menu you get is of your recorded programs through the web interface. I think there are legality issues with streaming a live broadcast without licensing, etc.