Would like your thoughts on this deal

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NeoMac, Oct 25, 2010.

1. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I'm in the market to purchase a DSLR. I would consider myself a novice. I have been looking at the entry level cameras from both Canon and Nikon. I have read several posts on the forum and have found that both are well liked and pretty similar in terms of specs. I have been looking for deals on both of them as price will be a factor too. I found this deal on line. I was wondering what people thought about it.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs Black 10.1 MP Digital SLR With 18-55-IS lens and 2.5" LCDCanon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens (6473A014)SDHC Memory Card (SanDisk 8GB SDHC Memory Card)
    List Price: $768.00
    Our Price: $614.54

It's from a major discount retailer so it's reputable store. Does this sound like a good deal? I am not in a rush but I want to save money. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hankcah macrumors regular

IMO the rebels seem to have a weird shutter sounds which is the only reason why I didnt get it. I have the EOS 40D with multiple lenses. You will notice more about lenses. Also, join something like flickr.com and look at the picture properties if they are listed, and you will catch on quickly.

Rebel is a very nice camera tho.

Also, one huge thing to remember. A guy can drop 7k on a camera and take ****** photos, while a rookie can have a point and shoot and take "fancier" photos. It's better to be the underdog and upgrade. But purchase as much as you can within reason. Never settle. For lenses, look for lower aperture IE : F1./4 is better than f/5.6 lenses if ur looking for brightness and focal points for portraits.
    But all settings are for different purposes.

I feel canon processes colours better. Nikon seems to make things look too real and natural. Even though both are awesome. I rarely leave a photo OOC, I always edit it slightly.

Buy Adobe Lightroom you will love

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I have a few generations up from the Rebel XS, but it's the glass (lens) that is more important. What you have sounds like a good price for a beginning level camera and set up. You can practice and hone your skills and if you really get to like taking pictures somewhere down the road you can upgrade your set up. Remember that with the Canon Rebel series lenses, any of the lenses with an "EF-S" indicator can only be used on those types of cameras and not the "full frame" higher end cameras, like the Mark Series. However, the EF lens CAN be used on the Rebel cameras so if you buy one of the next few years and then decide to upgrade you can use it with the new camera. Good luck, have fun and welcome aboard.

4. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

NeoMac

Thanks for the input. I currently use a Sony Point and Shoot and love taking pictures but it had gotten to the point that I have outgrown P & S and I am ready for the next level. But money being a huge factor I thought about buying an entry level DSLR. I am also planning on taking a Photography class at our local community college. Is there any intro to digital photograpy books you would recommend?

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

6. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go for the 75-300mm, since it's slow (f/5.6) and non-stabilized, unless you have a decent tripod already and plan specifically to do lots of telephoto stuff. A better value would be the bundle with the 55-250mm image stabilized lens (assuming you're looking at Wal-Mart). Or, just go with the single lens kit and use the savings towards a better lens in the future, once you've established a shooting style/subject preference.

Someone usually suggests Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, so I'll be the one to do it this time.

7. atmenterprises macrumors regular

I agree with this guy. I do think the 55-250mm lens is a much better lens than the 75-300mm.

8. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

NeoMac

Thanks everyone, I think I'll buy the basic kit and then save up for the 55-250mm lens. I'm just getting started so I have a lot to learn. I'll check out the books you have suggested as well.