Would Lion be for free?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by v2club, Apr 13, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I just purchased my MBP and it came with Snow leopard, will I get the Lion for free or I have to pay for it and if so how much?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In the past Apple has limited their "catch-up" program to the past 30 days only, and I suspect it will be the same again. Therefore, yes, I do suspect that you will have to pay full price for Lion (remember, its release is still at least 2-3 months away).

Pricing details have not yet been released. Apple has previously charged $129.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You will have to pay for it. When Snow Leopard came out it was and still is $30 if you are upgrading from Leopard. However if you bought your Mac within a certain number of days before the Snow Leopard release then it was $10. I bought my MacBook Pro in June 2009 and it was $10 to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

4. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased my MBP as well and we'll both be paying for Lion. How much I don't know.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Might as well leave out that last phrase. It makes no difference in the price.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If you are upgrading from something older than Leopard then it does cost more. You have to buy Snow Leopard, iLife, and iWork in one box set.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, you don't have to. Apple might want you to, yes.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You've got to be kidding, Apple give you Lion Free?

ha..ha..ha..ha..:D

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Probably depends on if you relate "have to" to technical, ethical or legal aspects. Any such attempt usually results in looooong discussions and different answers. But yeah, the cheap one works just fine for the operating system from a technical point of view.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, "have to" relates to the technical and legal aspect. Since it's technically possible, and might be ethically questionable, if ethics is the intent, "should" is more appropriate.

11. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

If you buy your computer now it won't be for free. It will either cost $29 or $129...no one knows. Let's all hope it's the first option though.

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So if your on Tiger you can just buy the $29 Snow Leopard option and it will work?

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeth.

14. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

It will work (as long as you have an Intel Mac of course).

If you are using the iLife that came with your computer you probably will want to upgrade that one too if you haven't already.

15. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I'm still pretty new to the OS X world and still very much enjoy using snow leopard - at this point, from what I've seen, Lion doesn't seem a huge step up, so personally I'd hold off if it was £129... I'm pretty sure it won't be free though :apple:

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have Snow Leopard but I was just asking a question about upgrading. I thought you had to buy the box set if you were using something earlier than Leopard.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I very much doubt it will be $129, since it costs $100 for an Apple Developer account, which comes with a free copy of Lion + early updates.

If it is $129, I'm becoming a developer.

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

See the discussion about "have to" above.

19. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, that's one way for Apple to boost the number of developers... :p

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yep. If we follow what happened in SL they gave it free (except a small handling fee) to anyone who bought a Mac once a pretty firm release date was announced. As I recall that was in June and SL was released in late August.

OP will probably pay full price. However, looking at how cheap the iWork and iLife apps have become on the Mac App store that may be very reasonable.