Would Lion run better?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dj1891, Feb 14, 2016.

1. dj1891 macrumors regular

dj1891

I bought a 2010 Unibody Macbook of eBay. It came running el capitan, It ok for the most part I guess, I don't really know how OS X should run being a Windows user but it does through up quite a lot of spinning circles. It has a 500GB SSD which I thought would speed it along nicely but this is becoming rather annoying.

I have an OS X Lion DVD, I am wondering if it would run any better or should I just leave as is?

2. firelighter487 macrumors member

firelighter487

how much ram is in the machine? i have 4 gb of ram, and with just safari and mail open, it's using 2.21 gb. if you only have 2gb of ram, it's going to be a problem, also on lion.

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Spinning circles could either be a lack of ram or a failing hard drive.

If you only have 2GB of ram upgrade to at least 4GB for El Capitan. You can see how much RAM is installed by clicking the apple drop down menu and selecting about this mac and going to the Memory tab.

4. dj1891 thread starter macrumors regular

dj1891

No it has 4GB. Doesn't happen all the time but enough to annoy me, mostly with Safari and iTunes

5. firelighter487 macrumors member

firelighter487

he stated that he has a ssd, which regularly don't fail like this.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    what do you do with it?

6. east85, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Gotcha..

Did it come with a clean install of El Capitan? I'm assuming it probably did, but if it didn't a clean install of El Capitan would probably give you a better experience. If not you could try Mountain Lion, as it is a much more refined version of Lion.

Is TRIM enabled for your SSD?

7. dj1891 thread starter macrumors regular

dj1891

Im not sure if it came with a fresh install rather than just an update, how would I find this out? I had been thinking about a reinstall but it seems like a bit of a task.

As for TRIM again how would I find this out?

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I'm not quite sure how you would find out if you're on a clean install or update, etc, but it is always good practice to do a clean install of any OS when you buy used because you've no idea what the previous owner might have put on there, that sort of thing. Maybe that's a different story if you know the person though.

Anyways for TRIM click the apple dropdown menu in the upper left hand corner and select about this mac.

On the overview tab (default tab when you open it) you will see a button for "system report", click that.

Under Hardware in the left column select SATA/SATA Express, look for "Trim Support" listed in the right hand bottom column, it should indicate YES, or NO. If it's yes, it's on, if it's no, it's not.

From here if you still need to enable it you can 1. enable trim force by opening terminal and typing "sudo trimforce enable", hitting enter, and restarting (more here), or 2. install a TrimEnabler (third party software).

Having TRIM disabled on some SSDs can really cause a lot of beachballs, as I've experienced that myself after forgetting to enable TRIM on a clean install, so hopefully this is the problem and possibly saves you a full reinstallation.