Would love printer suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Terri French, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Terri French macrumors newbie

I'm not a happy camper. My 1 1/2 year old multifunction printer just died. Rather than having it repaired (as the warranty recently expired) I will just purchase a new printer.

Here are my needs....

1. Needs to scan as well as print....no need for fax function.

2. Must cost under $200

3. Must work with Lion (upgraded two days ago).

4. Must be wireless

5. I don't print photos. Just basic home use for documents and such.

I would love to hear your experiences if you have a printer you use and like that would fit my criteria!! Thanks.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't have any recommendations, but you did leave out a few details.

1. Color inkjet or B/W laser?
    2. Do you require iOS printing?
    3. Do you need duplex printing capabilities?
    4. Do you need an auto sheet feeder for the scanner/copier function?

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Do you need color? If not, a relatively inexpensive multifunction laser is the Brother FCP7065DN, which I am about to purchase myself after upgrading from a printer only. (Added bonus: it supports duplexing. Scanner, including ADF, and printer; no fax.)

I'm not sure why you require wireless, but this printer is not, per se, wireless. However, it has both USB and Ethernet connections, so you have two options to make it effectively wireless: hook it up to an AEBS or other router with a built-in USB port and print server, or hook it up to your network anywhere using an Ethernet cable, assuming you have a wired connection somewhere, like on your router. (I'm assuming you have an existing network and are not making an ad-hoc wireless on between your computer and the printer.)

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Everything that I have read, heard, and experienced has indicated that the vast majority of printers with "wireless support" have implemented it very poorly.

Also... it seems that many people seem to think that if they do not have a wireless printer... then then cannot print from the wireless laptops etc. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In my opinion... the best solution is to buy a printer that has wired ethernet support... and directly connect it to your home network (i.e.: to your router or switch). Every computer (desktop or laptop) connected to your home network (wired or wireless) will all have direct printing to the printer.

/Jim

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have been totally happy with my base model HP wireless Photosmart D110 ePrint printer/scanner/copier. It does EVERYthing I need it to do (prints very nice pictures and text documents at a very good speed) and allows me to print from my iPhone4 and iPad2. EXTREMELY easy to set up and plays nicely with my AEBS and MBP/MBA (Lion)...

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I agree--this is what I meant to say, but it didn't come out as elegantly. :D If you buy a printer with an Ethernet port, such as the one I recommended above, it can be effectively wireless if you add it to your existing (wireless) network.

In fact, with the right router (such as the Airport Extreme Base Station or any one with a built-in USB port that supports print serving), you can do it with just USB. However, this will usually only work for the printer--without built-in networking on the part of the printer, it would be difficult to support over-the-network scanning. So USB only might work for printing, but Ethernet (or, if you really think you must, wireless) is probably your best bet for a multifunction printer. (I'm still not saying that setting up scanning will be easy, but you'll have to see... :))

7. newair2 macrumors newbie

I just bought the HP B210a AirPrint printer. I bought it at the same time as my 13" air so it had a $100 rebate. With another discount I had it cost me $29.99 by the time I was done. I love it. You can print from ANY wifi device, from ANYWHERE you have some kind of Internet connection, to your home printer. I love it! Check it out in the Apple store.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go with Canon AIO such as MX860 you will love it very much

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Canon MP495, Walmart, now up to $58 from a low of $49. It's wireless, easy setup, good quality and works great.