Would love some criticism on current website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by omgitskevin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. omgitskevin macrumors member

Hey Guys and Gals

(I'm an interactive web developer in my last year of school)

I'm looking to redo my currently website which is an online portfolio, I'm looking to really push myself and design which in the current site is lacking. This current site was created for a portfolio class and I know I can do better it was more of a rushed job. I want all the constructive feedback you all can give, I will take it all to heart and will definitely improve the site with all of the suggestions here.

Please reframe from one word comments and the following:

"lame site, very boring"

"needs work, more design"

Please if you have something to say about this site let me know what I can do to fix it.

Thank everyone in advance

Current Site

www.kevinmichaeldesigns.com

Another site that I'm working on but stuck in limbo for the moment

www.projectkine.com

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

To quote a client of mine "Make it more webbish"... Only kidding :)

I think you've done a really nice job, clean, clear and very easy to navigate.

The only things I would probably want to improve is:
    1) Increase the size of the navigation font, it is a little small
    2) The images in the light box are very nice however the scaling on them seems a little off because there's jaggies. You'll probably need to downsample them to the exact size they need to be. (Specifically the purple and the red cross posters).

Besides that you really have a solid portfolio, very nice work :cool:

3. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your fast feedback, I agree with the navigation font. The light box is a little weird and I might ditch it in the new portfolio (well that version).

Do you have any input for my revision? I'm looking for more color and a web 2.0 look.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The only other thing I would probably also would update is the about section to text not an image because it wont allow for resizing (thus it might be a little hard to read).

5. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

yeah def something that will be changed, that was a newbie thing of me to do but I was strapped for time excuses excuses lol

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

several things i noticed a bit odd when i when to your website:

fonts were a bit small on the menu.
    about page is one big image, not actually coded text.
    portfolio images are really big, and take a while to load. consider resizing them a bit to about 600pixels wide, and in photoshop use "save as for web at around 80% compressed jpeg.

7. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

Completely agree, readability will be addressed. About page is an image nothing coded (working on that), I never had the issue loading up the images but will keep that save for web stat in mind.

thank you

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

its a nice layout.
    the only thing that bugs me is the rate at which the images change. a bit too fast for my eyes when im trying to look at it

9. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

haha yeah I sped them up when I was debugging it whoops :eek:

btw canucks got lucky tonight :p (yeah yeah it's only pre-season)

10. manueld macrumors 6502

The layout is clean and simple. I like it. As a web design/development portfolio, you shouldn't be using images to convey copy (unless you're using proper image replacement like SIFR or a negative text indent).

If you're going to be using this site as a showcase make sure your structure and css is immaculate.

11. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

thank you, the structure will be reviewed and will be cleaned up.

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Agreed. I'd personally prefer a dissolve or similar, and slower please. The changes didn't give me a chance to really look at the pics. And at the end where it moves backwards is off-putting to me. Maybe once through, then a static pic of your best work with some text in it?

Other than that I have no issues with the design at all. White space = holiness. Clean.
    Nice looking. Well done.

13. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the kind words, I will reevaluate the slider animation when I use it for my new design.

14. KimKnox macrumors newbie

The animation occurs very fast, and i don't have chance to watch the images, and also menu type size is very small, maybe increase the size a little bit more. I like your portfolio, the layout is very nice. But in Contact, the contact form color is kind of dark, and your site have light colors. Contact form breaks the scheme.

15. omgitskevin thread starter macrumors member

appreciate it, most of those problems I addressed. I can see how the contact form can be out of place. I'm going to create a simplistic form in my new revision which shouldn't be out of place at all. thank you!

16. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I really like the design, but I will echo a few of the earlier comments.

The font size on both the navigation and main copy text areas is way too small. It's a strain to read it. I'd loose the image, and go with html text. Easier to scale for different screen resolutions.

Also, the drop down menus aren't very clear over certain images. Though this is probably connected again to the font size.