Would love some help w/ this, I know someone has gone through this...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justinwheelon, Feb 23, 2012.

1. justinwheelon macrumors newbie

I made a 1:1 clone of my hardrive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I am about to begin the process of my putting in my new hardrive and then I'm like....???

I know how to physically get it in there and closed back up then I am not sure after that. When starting the computer I do what.....?

(on a side note the Apple 'Geniuses' told me to install snow leapoard and then run time machine, I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhh that's the best option really?")

Thanks for your help!

2. simsaladimbamba

If you cloned the old HDD to a properly formatted new HDD (in an external enclosure), then doing just the physical switch is enough. Just power up the Mac and see, how it boots from the new HDD, though to prevent any confusion, don't connect the old HDD just yet.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

If you have a time machine backup, that is the simplest option to restore from.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Excerpt from article:

Restoring your entire system from a backup

If you are restoring a backup made by a Mac to the same Mac

With your backup drive connected, start up your Mac from the Lion recovery partition (Command-R at startup) or Mac OS X v10.6 installation disc. Then use the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" utility.

4. simsaladimbamba

No need for this procedure, if the old HDD is already being cloned to a new HDD. Also restoring from a TM backup is slower than cloning, and the computer is unusable during the restoration.

5. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Okay... the OP didn't explicitly specify whether the clone was to an external or an internal drive.

Sorry, you are right though, might as well use the clone - makes more sense.

6. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

so it will go something like this:

1) replace old HD w/ new HD

2) Cut computer on

***3) hold option down during startup and boot from the Carbon Copy?
    (Since this new HD won't have ANYTHING on it, no lion no nothing, I can't just run migration stuff right)

After I boot from my clone I'll be good to disconnect external drive w/ my Copy on it and have everything 'stay' on the new HD?

sorry I know this 101 stuff but I'm afraid of messing it up

----------

sorry! It's on an external

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

IF you cloned to an external its pretty easy

put in the new internal HD and on the boot hold option, pick your external to boot off, now you can go to disk utlility, format the new internal to OS journaled, once its formatted use Carbon Copy Cloner again and chose the external as the source and the internal as the target hit clone and once its done just make sure you internal is selected as the startup disk and you should be good

8. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok great ^ That's what I was looking for some actual instructions for me to follow, surprisingly I couldn't find them on the CCC website

9. simsaladimbamba

Your new HDD is currently the external HDD, to which you clone your old HDD (internal).
    If it is properly formatted*, you can just take out the old HDD and put in the new HDD. Then start the computer, no need for the OPTION key. Also don't connect the old HDD via external enclosure, to confirm bootability.

There is nothing more to do, really. If all went well, you can now use the old HDD for whatever means necessary.

10. Bear macrumors G3

You didn't say which OS you're running, but Time Machine is the Apple provided method for backup and recovery and therefore what their employees get trained on.

If you're running Lion, the one issue with Carbon Copy Cloner I see is that it may not be able to create the Lion Recovery Disk partition.

Other than that, CCC will do the job just fine.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If you cloned to the new drive like the first post reads, then just need to perform steps 1 and 2 as the drive will have everything on it already. If the drive is in blank like you are stating, I would boot from the clone and clone to the new drive (after you have formatted it in Disk Utility).

12. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

you know what I made the copy to an iOmega external...

are you saying I could just make the copy onto my new HD (when it arrives later today) and then simply switch them? I did buy an enclosure w/ usb 2.0 case also

I never thought to do this...

Which option will be easiest boot from the external with new HD in place or try to copy onto the new HD then switch them?

----------

how do I make sure the new drive is properly formatted?

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Whichever way you clone is the same from the external to the new internal or from the current internal to the new internal replacement. It is your choice, a clone is a clone is a clone.

Just go into disk utility and select the new drive and format for HFS+ (OS X journaled) and you will be fine.

14. simsaladimbamba

That will work, as we explained several times already. No need to clone twice.

As already explained, put the new HDD into the enclosure you also bought, format it properly*, clone, switch, ready.

Via Disk Utility or the guide I posted above and below.

15. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys I think I can do it now!

Thank you all so much for helping me I really do appreciate it, I know I kind of talked in circles and left key things out, thanks for sticking with me!

~Justin

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

potatoe patatoe

both ways will require you to do atleast 1 clone so niether would be faster,

the only way you would save time is if you didnt already have a clone on the external HD, than i would suggest using the new drive in the external enclosure so you only have to hit Clone once

BUT if you alread have the clone on the old external than you really only need to hit Clone once anyways so your looking at the same time to do it

17. simsaladimbamba

Next time maybe have a look here before posting a thread, as that could help you in getting better answers without all the hickhack.