Would love your input!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greyhoundrick, Apr 20, 2012.

1. greyhoundrick macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I recently cancelled my order for a new 15" MacBook Pro thanks to the wonderful heads up you provided me with regard to the soon to be released Ivy Bridge version. Thanks again for your expertise!

Now i have a question for you.....

I would like to purchase an interim MacBook Pro to tide me over until i can get the new version and then i will give it to our daughter who is ready for her first Mac.

If you were budgeting around $800 or less and were going to use the Mac for Photoshop CS5 mostly what would you look for and where would you look?

Im thinking 8 GIG RAM would be a must. Most else i could live with i think.

Thanks in advance for your recomendations and as always my best to all!

take care,

rick

2. RedCroissant, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't just get a machine now. I know Ivy Bridge is going to be awesome, but a new MBP from late 2011 is going to be a wonderful machine. I have a 15" MBP and love it. I'm also very glad that I didn't wait for the refresh.

I don't know where you could find a MBP for less than $800 that would be reputable; especially when you factor in the need for 8GB RAM. If you have any kind of Apple resellers in the area, then maybe; but it would be an older machine. If you want to save money, I would recommend looking at refurbished products on their website.

Hey! I just noticed that you're in Phoenix! The Orchard is a Mac reseller. They have a lot of Mac machines from fairly recent to even older generations that are PowerPC. I think they have 2 locations in the area as well.
    http://orchardaz.com/

3. merrillmonster macrumors newbie

merrillmonster

It is going to be tough to find a MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM for $800.00...

It is possible though. :) I would search your local listings on craigslist.com, you can find some great deals on there from time to time. I would also look on eBay, its going to run a bit more expensive than craigslist but there are advantages.

Good Luck!:apple:

4. radiohed macrumors regular

You are probably not going to find a MBP with 8GB in that price range. Take a look on the Apple refurb store. Their deals are quite good and you get a like new machine with the same warranty. You can always upgrade the ram for much less than Apple charges. :cool:

5. JonLa macrumors 6502

Quite frankly 8GB of RAM can be easily added - make sure you get a model that can take 8GB then use one of the websites like Crucial.com to work out how much 8gb would cost you and the part numbers,.

6. heisenberg123, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think the posts above are saying the models that can take 8GB would cost more than $800

i think you need an early 2009

7. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the great input!!

RedCroissant, thank you for the referral on The Orchard! Talked with them today. Excellent place!

For now, i am using my daughter's MacBook Pro (when i can ha ha) and will just wait it out! Hopefully the new ones will be out soon!!

thanks again to everyone,

rick