Would my new iMac benefit from adding more ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maf2k8, Sep 9, 2014.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I purchased a new 27" i7 iMac a few weeks ago, With the 512gb SSD option. I only went for 8gb of ram because i heard how easy it is to add/upgrade ram in the newer 27" iMacs. It currently has 8gb installed and i am curious if i would benefit from adding another 8, bringing it to 16gb.

I run dual displays ( using my old 27" iMac as a 2nd display ) via mini display port cable.

I use iMovie a lot for making youtube videos. The most cpu intense thing my iMac ever sees is iMovie importing/exporting a 720p movie on 1 display while i surf the net,check email or do light duty work on the 2nd display.

Would i benefit or see an increase in speed, etc, etc going to 16gb? With what i do on my iMac in dual display?

or should i save my money since what i am doing will not benefit from 16gb?

Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Open Activity Monitor and click Memory. Post a screenshot of what the table says down the bottom after you have used it as you normally would.

Here is mine:
    Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 21.18.25.png

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a screenshot of mine while running iMovie and stabilizing a 1 minute clip, Safari running, iTunes and Mail.

Attached Files:

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Seems to be working ok at the moment. Of course more is not going to hurt, but not a necessity for you.

5. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

In your case, if your system has another 8G RAM, it should fully utilise them as file cache.

So, the quick answer is YES, your system will benefit from it. However, you may not be able to notice any real world difference, unless you process some big video file.