Would now be a good time to sell my 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insignificantMB, Mar 17, 2011.

  1. insignificantMB macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    Location:
    Lakers!
    #1
    I have a late 2008 unibody 15" macbook pro and I am considering selling it for a brand new 15" macbook pro.
    Would now be a good time to sell it? I have apple care until october 14th and I wouldn't want it to die on me any time soon.
    Looking on the completed listings on ebay, my model sells for around 800-1000$, but mine does have some dents so I am looking at around 800$ after fees, optimistically of course. So I figure I will be adding around 900$ for the lower end 15" model just so I can have a faster laptop, but with a longer lifespan. oh, and thunderbolt...
    One thing that is keeping me from selling it and getting a new one is the next macbook pro redesign which I have no idea how long it will be until it comes out, but that is the one I have my eyes on.

    Do you guys think it would be worth it to sell my mbp? Or should I keep it until the new one comes out, in which my model will probably sell around 300-500$ if it is still working.
     
  2. feare macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #2
    If you really want the MBP redesign in the near future, you'd have to determine if you'd save more money by waiting to sell, or selling it now and then selling the next MBP you buy for more once the redesign happens.

    I'm looking to do the same thing you're doing, but only if bumping my RAM proves not to be enough.
     
  3. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    Location:
    Lakers!
    #3
    With this cost benefit analysis, it seems to be more efficient by waiting, but what if my macbook pro dies right after the warranty expires, or maybe apple won't even have a new redesign until 2014, the same number of years they kept the design of the last powerbook g4/mbp.
    Then wouldn't it be better to have the new mbp for the 3 years in between?
     
  4. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #4
    I sold mine now and i got a nice chunk of change which went towards my new purchase. The Core 2 Duos are losing resale value fast especially the 15" models...even more so if you lack warranty/Applecare.

    It's up to you but i cashed in now. If there is a redesign and it's really something i can't do without (unlikely) then i'll sell this new one for more. and jump on that.
     
  5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

    adnoh

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
  6. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    Location:
    Lakers!
    #6
    Would it be a good idea to sell for a used 15" mpb, maybe the previous gen? Or if I am lucky the current gen?

    Does anyone know how much the previous gen is currently being sold for?
     
  7. tcador macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #7
    http://www.mac2sell.net/

    By previous generation you mean the non-unibody? I was thinking about selling mine for around $550 or so and going down from there. Not sure if that's realistic or not but it should give you a point of reference.
     
  8. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    Location:
    Lakers!
    #8
    I mean the macbook pro before the current update. I forget, was it arrandale?
     
  9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
  10. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #10
    look at the Apple refurb site. I think a 15" i7s go for like $1500 or so for the higher ends, perhaps less if you look on CL.
     

Share This Page