Would really appreciated iPhone advice (this SUCKS).

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nick16, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Nick16 macrumors regular

Apparently I'm living Final Destination: The Peril of Nick's Apple Products... Last week my iPad got lost/stolen at a conference and yesterday I dove into a pool with my iPhone in my pocket. I'm afraid of what's to come for my MacBook.

Immediately upon diving into the pool I realized my phone was in my pocket so ran inside, shook all the water out as best as I could, dried it with a hair dryer, and placed it in a bag of rice. Throughout this whole time the LED camera flash was on (constantly, not flickering or anything), which gave me hope that once it was in the rice for a day and dried out, the device would come back to life. Well, I just now (30 hours later) tried plugging in the device and powering it on, with absolutely no luck. So now I'm screwed I guess. Any advice on this front?

Although I'd love to get it up and running, I'm at the point now that I just want a new phone. I'm 18, a recent high-school graduate, and am moving away to college in two weeks, so this is literally the absolute worst time to not have a phone.

I don't have insurance on my phone through AT&T, though I'm not sure if they offer any sort of coverage whatsoever. I don't have Apple Care or any Apple coverage. Any limited warranty would be outdated I think (I got the phone when the 4S came out, not sure when that was)... it wouldn't cover water damage I don't think anyways. What are my options? Can I walk right into an Apple store and pay full price for a new iPhone? How much is that (I only see the 2-year upgrade prices listed on their website)? Or do I need to go into an Apple store?

Also another important question: Would I be at all able to restore my iPhone 4S backup to an iPhone 4 if I were to buy a brand new iPhone 4 (to save money)? Or do I need to get another 4S?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm phone-less and it sucks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you go to an apple store all you have to do is hand in your water damaged 4S and they will replace it for you for $200.
    That will not extend your contract or have anything to do with your subsidy or AT&T account.
    Its called an out of warranty replacement.
    If you get lucky they might even replace it for free if you find a nice Apple rep but its not a guarantee.

3. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you serious? Is this listed somewhere on their website? Because if this is true, then this is a perfect solution, to be honest. Even if it's a refurbished device.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Is the store pretty much guaranteed to have a phone on hand to swap out, so I can walk out with a new one? Or am I going to have to send my phone in and wait for a replacement via mail, etc.?

Thanks so much for pointing this solution out by the way.

6. noteple macrumors 65816

Apple store. Walk in with genius appointment. They will examine phone.
    Determine it was damaged by liquid. Offer you a pay to repair.
    Give them money, sign invoice, and walk out with a working replacement.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, they have tons of 4S replacements in stock.
    its done on the spot without any wait besides waiting for your turn to see an Apple rep.