Would replacing iPhone battery be of any remedy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emir, Jan 11, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hey everyone;

So I have a 32-gig iPhone 4S bought October 2011 when it was shiny and brand new with siri being the new hip. I was fairly happy with my phone and I still am with the speed with iOS 7 and everything, (I don't really need one fifth of a second faster opening weather app.) Only problem I have is the battery which is becoming more and more unbearable as the days go by. Problems first started gaining my attention around May '13 and it has became worse ever since.

I only use my phone for calls, whatsapp, twitter, Facebook, instagram and snapchat, 3G is off I only use edge and wifi, push and fetch is off for mail accounts, I don't play games and I don't use it heavily, say, moderately. Despite all of these nowadays my iPhone has to go thru at least 3-4 full battery cycles a day and it's rendering the phone useless from time to time. Also it sometimes turns itself off even though it has 20ish% battery left.

So I've found these replacement batteries for iPhone 4S on ebay and it looks fairly easy to install as I have swapped my Macbook Pro's optical drive with an SSD previously, looks like I can handle it. Thing is, I know nothing about those batteries on eBay, would they solve my problem or is my iPhone's battery draining super fast because of some hardware issue? Would I be better off buying a battery pack even though I have to carry around something extra with me during the day. (not a major problem in winter thanks to winter coat pockets but I can see it becoming a hassle during summer)

Keep in mind that I don't wanna upgrade to 5S just because of battery life and I will definitely get iPhone 6 as soon as it comes out so this has to be a cheap and short term (around 9-10 months) solution.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for the replies.

TL;DR: Replacing an iPhone 4S with a horrendous battery life with a battery on eBay, good idea or not?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Go4rit. Watch out striping the screws and tiny cables.

3. cynics macrumors G3

Get the kit from ifixit.com. Comes with a new battery, new screws and the tools to replace it. I replaced my 4S battery a 6-7 months ago. It's still great.

4. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

So you're saying that battery issues I'm having are related to battery, not a piece of hardware that makes the battery get drained super fast and my iPhone will be able to get thru a day with a single charge?

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No......

At the risk of answering for the other fellah, he is just telling you IF u are going to get a battery, get it from Ifixit.

Nobody here have made any judgement what the real problem may be, if you have not already gone through all the standard troubleshooting steps. I AM saying changing the battery is relatively easy and inexpensive vs spending time trying all the troubleshooting.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

First thing to do: install iBackupBot on your computer and check the status of your battery.
    It's not 100% accurate, but if you find a very low value like 1000 mAh or less, then you know for sure your battery is dying.