Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
My mobile has been really sluggish and performing badly. I wanted to know if I restore the phone to factory settings, update it and then restore my apps would it make it run faster?

Also how can I avoid loosing personal data like game progress, office files saved and such?

I can't wait for the next iPhone generation model to come out!

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My mobile has been really sluggish and performing badly. I wanted to know if I restore the phone to factory settings, update it and then restore my apps would it make it run faster?

Also how can I avoid loosing personal data like game progress, office files saved and such?

I can't wait for the next iPhone generation model to come out!

Did you clear the apps in the multitasking bar?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You might get some zip added back to that old model phone with a restore, but I don't suspect much. People complained about the 3GS with 4.x and it's gotten even worse with 5.x. It's just a thing you either deal with, or upgrade.

It's one of the reasons why I laugh when I see those charts showing how the 3GS is getting updates nearly three years after launch while many Android phones don't. That's cool and all, except that the phone is so pig slow you find yourself wishing you had the newer model anyway.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
My mom got the 3GS right after it came out and she loved. So much so I got an iPhone. At the time I got the 3G because I got a really good deal on it. I did notice that my 3G ran really slow even on 4.2.1 which is the highest that fun can run. I used it until I got my 4. My 4 runs IOS 5 great. After my mom did the update to IOS 5 she said her phone has been running a but sluggish but not to the point of anything crazy (but every now and again she does complain). I don't know why she doesn't up grade because at this point she could get the 4 or 4S and I think the added speed would be great and she would be happy. So restoring might help but also if you have a lot of apps try deleting some you don't use that has been know to help. Also as mentioned above if you have apps running in the multitask bar sometimes just by closing them that can help. You can do that by holding down the icon until it wiggles and you see the red minus sign. Anyway hope this helps good luck.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I doubt it. While it's not the same, I have the first gen iPad with iOS 5.1 and it's slooooooow as hell; even after a clean install of the OS and Apps. I would recommend saving up for an upgrade. I'd buy the new iPad, but I think the iPad has no practical use for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.