Would rubber feet on the back of the iPad be too queer?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dmk1974, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

My wife is always setting her iPad down onto the hard countertops and coffee table. I was thinking of putting 4 little clear adhesive round low-profile rubber feet (like you might stick to cabinet doors) onto the back of the iPad so it doesn't smack the hard surfaces. Is that too queer though? I mean, laptops and netbooks all have little rubber feet to reduce shock, right? But I know it's an iPad and has to look all pretty and stuff! :)

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It would make the back harder to scratch. As you hardly ever look at the back, I'd say go for it.

3. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

Seems like it would work ok though my concern would be the adhesive those things use. Either they may not stick well over the long run or they may leave hard to remove residue.

On a slightly different note, can we avoid the homophobic references please?

4. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

As a "queer"...

no.

But the question is very much so.

The idea however, kinda cool.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Why?

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Guys, I didn't mean "queer" in an offensive manner. It's meant as odd, unusual or weird. I don't see how rubber feet would look "gay" in any way. It's more utilitarian than anything. I was at the Apple store the other day and saw $40 pieces of flimsy silicone (which cost probably a buck to make) selling just because they keep the style all nice and so on. Anyway, just wanted to see what you all thought of my unconventional idea.

8. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Do it and let us know how it works. I was looking for as similar solution.

9. goldenaustin macrumors member

homophobic references? LOL!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/queer

It's a different story if he said "gay", or "homo", but as he explained "queer" has another definition. It's listed as #5, not even near the top.

Jeez people!

...and no I don't think the idea is wrong. I'd consider it.

10. Lenow macrumors regular

Language is Important

Without getting too far into this, I understand how the word "queer" was used in the first posting, and didn't see it as a slur. But the follow-up responses indicated a ceratin lack of sensitivity for how language is used and can hurt. I am straight, but have been involved in GLBT civil rights for years and participate in workshops with high school and junior high school kids about language and common parlance like calling something "gay" and why this is inappropriate--at least with folks you don't know. THis is not about political correctness, it is more about getting rid of the old slangs and phrases that are intended to promote ridicule and discrimination.

So, think about it next time you hear someone call something "gay" and unless it is in a group of folks who really understand and know each other, it should be avoided like so many other negative short phrases.

11. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

Fair enough. It's just that most times I've heard it phrased that way, it was meant as a slur.

If you do try the feet, please do let us know how it worked out!

12. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Wow, I didn't think that word was going to take this thread in this direction. I don't get why noah82 would call the feet "gay". Anyway, I'm glad that at least most of you know what I meant by that term. I did not mean the meaning that some folks took it as.

Back to the thread...I bought a $2.49 pack of 16 ct. bumpers from the local Home Depot. I tried two sets of positions. I think I like the outer a little better. Sorry they are just iPhone pics, but you can see the locations and hopefully the resulting gap between the iPad and the counter. They seem to stick pretty well (at the moment)...I'll report back if they start falling off. If the back surface was glossy, they would probably stick better. I do also have a BSE skin on it's way...maybe I'll re-apply bumpers after I install that as well.

Attached Files:

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I like this idea, I think I'll try it also. I have not set my iPad down on a hard surface yet:D.

14. kepner macrumors 6502

Neat idea. Definitely too queer for me though.

15. bniu macrumors 6502a

it's a free country. Do whatever you want. It's you that's going to be using it. Chances are none of us will ever see your iPad in person...

16. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Great idea for those that keep their iPad nekkid

17. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I think it looks nice, and is probably very effective.

18. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I got the InCase that is sold at the Apple stores. It is a silicone sleeve and only covers the back and fits perfectly. I had ordered two different one from the internet but nothing fit so perfectly as the InCase unit! It also make the iPad much mopre comfortable to hold

19. Queso macrumors G4

It'll work fine and as they're transparent it doesn't look too bad. Not unless they pick up dust or discolour anyway.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I like the solution and don't see it as queer at all. As for the negro strip on the top of the wifi + 3G...that is queer. ;)

(I COULD be Italian)

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's actually a nice idea. I'm curious OP if you have any way of showing the BSE back, was it easy to install? I've installed a few on my iPhone and they're downright difficult. I manage but they're a PITA.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Black in Italian is nero, not negro.

Hope this helps :)

23. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

What's up with the "queer" and "gay" usage as something negative here?

Did I unknowingly join a site where homophobic behaviour is encouraged?

24. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I like the idea as long as you'll be primarily using it around the house. I wonder if those feet would cause problems with iPad cases for travel?