would sim from 3GS work with iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

is it the same size of different ? i want to use my phone number which is on 3gs and not eligible for upgrade i was wondering if i can swap that sim in iphone 4 and like wise new sim in 3gs..is that possible ?

2. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

The sim is a different size. The iPhone 4 uses a micro sim

3. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

only if you cut it, there is at least 1 thread for this.

4. dannyjames8 Guest

im in the same situation as you,

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

if you are on o2, phone your carrier and ask them what they will do

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I really dont want to encourage this by answering you.

This info is SOOOO easily obtained by doing a little research. just on here it has been talked about a dozen times. not only that if you look at apple you will se that the iphone 4 takes a "new micro-sim" common sense tells you it is smaller than the original.

so the answer is no, you can not just swap back and forth they are not the same size. however, you can cut your existing one to match and that will work. but if you want to go back to the 3gs you will need a sim adapter to go back.

please use the search next time. the Forum is Clogged with posts right now and reposting already answered stuff is just making it worse.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You can trim standard SIM cards to fit into Micro SIM slots and it works (no really, there are even tools that make it perfect if you wish). Depending on how they handle the upgrade swap you may not need this though. I've heard of people being able to pull the phone out of the box, call AT&T and they'll handle the swap so that the eligible line keeps their SIM and they activate the new SIM straight onto your line. However, my experience (and many others) have been that they end up activating the new micro SIM on the eligible line, that becomes their SIM, then they move the iPhone IMEI back to your existing SIM. Of course there are size issues in both cases in this second scenario. Point blank. Just be ready to visit an AT&T store to be assigned new SIMs...

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

ok great! ... but is it NOT ALLOWED to change lines on your plan ... for example i get iphone on a certain phone number and then move it to a non-iphone like a unlocked razar... would they let me do that without a problem?