would someone please comment on this alignement?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mitou, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mitou macrumors regular

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am not a web designer nor do I know of any such laws surrounding the alignment of text on a website. I think it is ok, it just seems to be a lot of text. Not knowing what the site is I can't say if that is good or bad.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, here's my comment. The left column is left-aligned while the right column is right-aligned with lighter color text. The text appears to be the same in both. Why the text is repeated I don't know. Right-aligned text should only be used in cultures where it's a norm. Also, the lighter text lack contrast making it hard to read. The left column has a better width for reading.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Rather than left or right aligned, what about spacing it out to a set width, newspaper column style?

5. Mitou thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the comments, I got what I pretty much expected.
    FYI the text is repeated because it is a dummy text for now. I do not have the actual text yet but I was just wondering what the reaction to the space in the middle would be.
    I think you all reacted a little like I did when I first saw it.
    Thanks

6. davethewave macrumors member

I would suggest you to have justified text in both columns.
    that's because right aligned text is more difficult to read than left-aligned.
    so with justified text you can have a good "div" and text alignement.
    just my 0.02€! (that's about 0.03$ as of now... :p )
    bye DV

7. Mitou thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I agree DV, I was given this as a suggestion but I had serious doubt about people's reactions (particurlarly people like the ones here who look at designs everyday) and I see that all the reactions are like my original one. "It does not work" for most people.
    Thank you for the input.
    M