Would startup/shutdown be faster with more RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davyvfr, Dec 29, 2012.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (Intel Core i5, 500GB 7,200RPM HDD, 4GB DDR3 @1600) I have replace RAM in many laptops before so its not a hassle for me. I have noticed that my RAM usage is nearly almost used up when playing games or after quitting a game. I am planning to put 16GB DDR3 in this laptop this summer and install a SSD later. Which would give me the best benefit?

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

SSD. During boot/log in, your OS and programs need to load off your internal disk. Since SSD's are much faster than traditional mechanical drives, your boot time should decrease noticeably.

If you end up paging due to lack of free RAM, paging to an SSD will also be a lot faster.

So, SSD for sure.

3. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Could I see an increase in speed in games with an upgrade in RAM? I have not had any page-out errors.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Duervo has good advice. RAM is cheap, and during boot SSD will make a bigger difference.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Once games are loaded into memory, your CPU and graphics processor will have the largest impact on performance.

The amount of RAM in your system plays no part in speed of your system, unless you are already paging to disk. If you're not, and since you can't upgrade your CPU or graphics processor, the SSD will give you your best overall performance boost.

In your position, I would do the SSD upgrade first, and then upgrade the RAM later.

Your games will love you for the SSD upgrade because textures, bitmaps, etc. will load into memory off the SSD much, much faster. This will translate into you getting in game quicker, levels loading faster, etc. if you're looking for better frame rates, then you'd have to upgrade CPU/graphics or play at lower resolution or lower quality settings in the game.