Would Steve Jobs have approved the iPhone X camera notch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Risco, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Would Steve Jobs approve the iPhone X camera notch?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Unsure

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

My thinking is no as the notch is very distracting for full screen. Steve always believed in beautiful simplicity with function. I think he would have a thin bezel at top for the camera?

2. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I think it’s pointless now because Steve Jobs is...uhmm...dead?

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Needs a "it doesn't matter what steve would have thought" option. People tend to act like steve jobs was perfect and never made any poor design decisions, we need to just forget about this whole idolizing the idea of how wonderful apple would be if steve were still with us.

4. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Then don't post!

5. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Do you mean yourself?

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

7. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    It is not idolising, but more clear as the years go by that Apple have lost their way. Yes, it still functions but the design ethos has been lost.

Steve Jobs had a profound effect on millions of lives.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The “Notch” is what you got, deal with it or move on. Apple is not going to change it now.

9. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Good come back there...from someone like you who posts utter nonsense and asking absolutely pointless questions from behind a keyboard.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I guess there’s no way to know but for the sake of discussion I would have to say no way in hell! He would have either pushed it back, or demanded that his engineers come up with another solution. Tim Cook is not as meticulous and demanding when it comes to design, he’s an operations and distribution guy.

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Lost their way according to who? that's the point people act as if Apple wouldn't be releasing this if Steve was still alive despite the fact that we have no way of knowing what would have happened. It is basically the very definition of idolizing him. Lots of people continue to live in this fog of pretending like Apple would be so much better if Steve was alive, but for all we know it could have gotten worse if he was still with us we literally will never know so there is no good reason to constantly speculate.

It also makes me laugh that Steve would always agree with the people who bring this stuff up...

12. manni, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

manni macrumors regular

It's an interesting topic I think even though nobody can ever answer it. Personally I have my doubts, I think broad concepts such as symmetry tended to matter more to Jobs. He was also very keen to maintain the user experience across devices and, due to the notch, certain aspects of the UI will be different on the X.

The only thing I feel confident saying Jobs would not have accepted would be a situation with so many different iPhones on offer. The SE, 6s, 7, 8 and X (and the 6s, 7 and 8 all having a normal and a plus sized model) must be confusing to those who aren't avid tech followers like most on here.

It's very hard for a CEO to avoid this. You have marketing people who tell you this or that segment want to spend precisely $550, you have engineers desperate to push whatever creation they were involved with, you have supply chain guys telling you about production lines that might as well be used. It's very seductive which is why it nearly always happens with nearly all companies; sooner or later they lose focus. Jobs on his return to Apple really had to battle the engineers there, men he really respected and loved, because - like many on this board - they love the technology but don't see it from the point of view of the ordinary person.

Would Jobs have insisted on there being just one iPhone at a time in one size? Probably not. But no way he would have accepted the current line up of EIGHT different iPhones, some separated by just $40 or $50 from the next one, some being confusing such as a 7 plus 128gb costing more than an 8 64gb - it really must be a bit unsettling for many average consumers I think.

Jobs used to insist apple computers went into one of four categories - amateur laptop, amateur desktop, professional laptop, professional desktop. I suspect he would do something similar with iPhones - a simpler device in large and normal and then a higher cost device in large and normal. And that would be it.

13. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I completely agree, the fact is that Apple would be better if Steve was still with us there’s not doubt about that!

14. soanis macrumors regular

soanis

It's not pointless to hypothesize though.

15. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

But what’s the point in hypothesising when we will never know the answer? Just seems like procrastination to me. We should all just look forward and wish Apple well under Tim Cook’s leadership.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Who cares about Steve Jobs? He joined the whole telephone party late in the game. When I see today's phones, I put a great deal of thought into whether Alexander Graham Bell would have approved.

17. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

Anyone outside of the valley wouldn’t have approved that monstrosity.

And also Steve. Steve wouldn’t have either.

Hopefully it goes away next year.

18. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Would Steve Jobs have approved of what I had for lunch today? Hmmmm, I wonder...

19. x-evil-x, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Seems like a profit scene nowadays. At least in the jobs era it didn’t feel like you where giving your money towards something with no real innovation.
    This year really shows how much they are milking people.
    No 128 gig phones.
    X model only 64 to 256 for 150 price increase.
    50$ increase on the pointless filler 8 8/s models.
    It’s just nonsense profit hungry apple

20. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Perfectly sums up my feelings. It’s all for profit, yes while Steve was alive the phones were expensive. However they were truly amazing, the iPhone 4 was miles ahead of the competition.

The amount of leaks don’t help. Yes the iPhone 4 got leaked but Apple threw down the hammer on Gizmodo.

I always, always looked forward to Apple keynote. Now I don’t really care. This is the first phone since 3G I may not bother to upgrade straight away.

21. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Seems like they always have leaks every year. This one more software side of things. But nothing out of the ordinary. I’ve been around since 3g phone. Upgraded every two years.

22. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

I honestly think if Steve was with us today, the iPhone 8 or "X" would still have gotten bigger... but the design would be similar to the iPhone 4 and 5 with the flat glass design and no round edges or camera bump. Apple found its signature look around the time and Apple just threw out Steve’s creation the moment he died.

23. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

He would have approved the notch in hardware, but not in software.

It’s brilliant hardware design, it’s abysmal software design. You hide the notch in software and you win the fight to the best designed smartphone ever made.

24. 358547, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  25. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That's largely because Jobs was a really good salesman. Sometimes I watch his keynote for the original iPhone, and he makes me want to buy the thing today!