would TB to FireWire adapter work through a thunderbolt dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by burnthefires, Jun 4, 2017.

1. burnthefires macrumors newbie

As in topic: I'm aiming for the "one cable solution" dock with my display, firewire, USB and ethernet, but the OWC one (which has FireWire built in) is a bit too pricey. As i already have the TB to FW adapter i'm wondering if connected to the dock it would work the same as connected directly to the MBP.

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I am guessing you have a MBP which is a 2011-2015 Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2? (as opposed to the 2016-present Thunderbolt 3?)
    In the case of the AKiTiO Thunder2 Dock, the Apple TB2-->FW800 does work with a powered FW hard drive - I can't speak to other Thunderbolt docks tho. However, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it will not supply the full amount power for bus powered chains and so unpowered chains may not function correctly after a certain power draw...I could be imagining this tho?!

3. burnthefires thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, MBPR early 2015 so TB2, my cheapest option is the i-tec thunderbolt 2 dock which is about 40% cheaper than OWC in my country.
    I am aware of the power issue because i'm using my audio interface via the adapter which can be normally bus-powered from FW800 and i gotta use an external power supply anyway.
    My guess was that all those "thunderbolt to XXX" adapters are not just adapters but just external PCIe cards since ethernet or FW aren't contained in TB standard(unlike DisplayPort for example), therefore it doesn't matter if they're connected directly to the port or daisy chained, but just wanted to make sure before purchasing the dock.