Would the 2.7Ghz clear up some "lag"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Razzz, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Razzz macrumors member

I just ordered a 2.6 ghz model with 16gb ram ( macbook pro retina ) do you think the 2.7 model with the extra 2mb of cache would help clear up some of the lag issues even though they arnt that bad? some reviews say that haswell will run the rmbp better, but if i got the 2.7 vs the 2.6 would that help a bit?

thanks

2. GGJstudios, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course it depends on what you're running, but I doubt you'd see any improvement in lag between processors.

Of course, lag could be caused by non-hardware issues. This may help:

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

The lag is being caused by the browsers only being able to access a single core on the CPU while driving *that* many pixels.

The cache won't improve this problem. The 100MHz boost will help in theory. But we're talking like maybe, possibly 1-2fps. Nothing of consequence.

4. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Doubtful. The current consensus is that the lag is a software issue more so than a hardware issue. There really isnt that huge of a difference in performance across the three configurations.

5. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I'm surprised Apple would let the RMBP ship before the software was optimized to make everything 100% buttery smooth. This isn't Google we're talking about. I expect that from them, not Apple!

6. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100%.

7. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

That software you are referring to is the browser, 100%. It's the fact that no browser can handle multiple CPU cores. The first browser to support multiple cores will be the first with zero lag on the rMBP.

This problem is *not* exclusive to the rMBP. It affects all high resolution Macs. My 2011 iMac has only a few FPS better performance than the rMBP... only because it has a few less pixels.

----------

It's software issue in the sense that some websites are less-than-optimally coded and really need multiple CPU cores to render them quickly... and there are no browsers that support multiple cores.

8. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Excuse me by my iMac 27" scrolls perfectly smooth, far better than the rMBP.

9. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

It's enough FPS to be noticeably different, but it still is less than most sites and causes the CPU core to go to 100% usage.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

My 2010 13" MBP was smoother than my maxed out 2011 27" iMac when browsing. Just sayin'.

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

12. cirus macrumors 6502a

Only if the cooling in the rmbp is good enough for the cpu not to throttle.

13. laxman101 macrumors regular

The only thing it will clear out if the rest of your wallet.