Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
You are daily driving an iPhone 1?!?!?! But to answer your question, yes the iPhone 5S will make a solid camera. My iPhone 5 is my primary camera. Which it sucks in low light it's an otherwise solid camera. Not as good as a decent point and shoot but good enough for my uses. I'm not going to carry around a camera so I'm very happy the iPhone has a good camera on it.

My P&S is dying, so I'd like to just my phone. At the moment I use my 4S for daytime shots and P&S for sports/night time shots etc. I'm hoping the 5S is decent enough to replace my P&S. Hopefully the dual flash sorts out the low light issues and the red eye problems. Lack of OIS is a bummer, but addition of burst mode is good. I'd really like to read a comparison of the Z1 vs the 5S, to see which has the better camera, that will sway me.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
As a photographer, I have to say that the 5S camera is flat out awesome. .

:confused:

No OIS, no xenon flash, no optical zoom - but it's flat out awesome.. :rolleyes:

There are possibly only 4-5 P&S cameras ( all of which cost more than the iPhone btw) that will take better photos than the 5

confused.jpg

Seriously dude, you're a photographer and you're claiming there are only 4 P&S cameras around that are better than the camera on the 5S?

----------

Not for u....

Remember OP doesn't even own a camera currently

Ah OK. In that case, I'm sure you would be happy with the 5S. :)

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
There are possibly only 4-5 P&S cameras ( all of which cost more than the iPhone btw) that will take better photos than the 5S but the 5S still has them beat with portability.

If you consider mirrorless cameras to be point and shoots, any Sony NEX or Olympus PEN ever made will blow away a 5S with their large sensors and RAW shooting ability. Ditto for any Panasonic LX3/LX5/LX7. Or a Canon S90/95/100. Or most of the Canon G series since the G9. Or any top end Nikon point and shoot.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
There are possibly only 4-5 P&S cameras ( all of which cost more than the iPhone btw) that will take better photos than the 5S

I'd like some of what you're smoking. I think you missed a couple of zeros. 40-50 P&S that will take better pictures than the 5S.

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
If you want awesome pictures from your iPhone, use the 3rd party apps, not the default camera app. If you want even more awesome images do a little bit of editing from the 3rd party editing apps, all available at the App Store. That's what most serious photographers do. :D

I'm excited and looking forward to stretch the camera awesomeness of the 5S when I get it. And yes I'm a photographer and also happy with my $3300+ Nikon D800E.

So go for it. You won't be disappointed!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Not for u....

Remember OP doesn't even own a camera currently
Ah OK. In that case, I'm sure you would be happy with the 5S. :)
Thanks. I'm glad you see the question I am up against. iPhone 1 (I own now) + a new camera or iPhone 5S and use it's camera. I agree the 4S is better than nothing, but for that price I might as well splurge for the 5S. Whatever option I go for will have to last me for a long time.

Tomorrow I'll get some advice from a camera, but I'll keep everything that has been said in this topic in mind. I am aware store owners like to push "need to sell" stock on people and don't always recommend the best for you. Also seeing some good 5S camera reviews post the 20th would be very nice too.

Thank you everyone.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Better summer (July is perfect). In April and even May you *can* have rain, rain, rain, ...

Thanks for all of your advice. You're getting me to lean towards the 5S. But yeah needs to wait on those all important 5S camera reviews.

And about the rain. I'm from Queensland Australia (if you know that place, not sure) and I know all about the summer rains. All too well actually. So the occasional rainy day does not bother me, but 2 weeks raid solid when I am there would be a little downer, but it's nothing I can't handle :) . And thanks for the July tip. There is an expo here all about getting advice on travelling to the EU. It's in November. I'll get advice about costings then so I know how long I can afford to visit for. But July is looking better and better.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think the bottom end point and shoot cameras still out perform what the 5S has to offer. With that said, there's an old saying - the best camera is the one you have.

I personally want a camera that is superior in low light situations, has a quick AF Lock, zooms and I can control the Aperture, ISO, shutter speed (but that's just me.)

Not sure I agree, maybe we just have different definitions of "bottom-end". My parents bought a Nikon they had on sale on Black Friday for $50, it is horrendous. Slow AF, slow shutter, long shot to shot time and terrible IQ. And in low light you only grainy. Video was terrible as well. Not with carrying as a separate camera.

Now I did have an old powershot that took great photos, but it was a high-end P&S at the time.

So I'd say iPhone bests cameras in the < $120 range. More than that and you will get better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.