Would the Apple Watch scratch a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by oennich, Mar 27, 2015.

1. oennich, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

oennich macrumors newbie

I was just thinking if wearing the Watch while using a MacBook (Air/Pro) would cause scratches on either the aluminum on the Mac or any of the metal parts of the watch bands, like the Milanese Loop, the pin on the Sport band, or clasp on the Classic/Modern buckle.

Is this an issue for people who currently wear a watch, and is there any good workarounds to prevent scratches?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Metal on metal typically does cause scratches

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I have been wearing a stainless steel link band watch and using my MBP15 w/Retina since like... 2-3 years ago when they came out. I can't see any scratches on the mac, but, the watch's black finish is rubbed off where it often comes into contact with the laptop.

Thing is, in reality, it usually doesn't rub on there. It depends on my posture and such at the time. If I'm sitting in some way that does cause a lot of rubbing, I just pop that baby off my wrist and set it aside the laptop. Problem solved.

If you actually practice good posture, you would never be resting your wrists. I, however, frequently practice very laid back, poor posture shifting around throughout the day so some rubbing does occur.

But it has not been a significant problem.

4. kovey macrumors 6502a

Spock smashes scissors and vaporizes rock; he is poisoned by lizard and disproven by paper. Lizard poisons Spock and eats paper; it is crushed by rock and decapitated by scissors; Apple Watch scratches Spock and Macbook; it is crushed by rock.

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't see why not, I'm sure all of us none watch wearing people are going to find out these fun things really soon:D