Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Amsterdam
Looking to buy a 2011 13" MacBook pro and a thunderbolt display for video editing would that be the best setup .

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
That depends...

Looking to buy a 2011 13" MacBook pro and a thunderbolt display for video editing would that be the best setup .

If you're getting into professional video editing, then I would say no and that you should get one that has an additional GPU and at least 8GB of RAM.

Now if you're just going to edit home movies and stuff like that for little projects, then the base model should be fine.

But if I were you, I would go to the clearance section on Apple.com and look at their refurbished models. you can get a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 for $1,529. That's the model that I have that I bought new for $600 more.

urweirdmister

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles, Ca
It depends

I agree with what RedCroissant said, if you're looking to get into it professionally then I wouldn't, but if it's for personal projects you wont have a problem. I had a project in college that had hours of raw footage to render and edit on final cut 5 and my 2008 white macbook w/4GB RAM did the job just fine.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
If you’re serious about it then why not go with an iMac, unless portability is really needed. If you were to buy a baseline MBP it would cost $1249, plus another $1000 for the Thunderbolt Display. That’s $2249.

Meanwhile, for about the same amount ($50 more) you can get a 27” iMac with the upgrade to a 3.4GHz i7 (much better then then 2.4 i5) and the 6970m GPU with 2GB of VRAM which is above and beyond anything the MBP’s GPU could offer.

With that said, if you’re just doing basic iMovie stuff anything will do, I can use iMove ’11 just fine on my 2008 macbook. If that’s all your doing though the Thunderbolt display is expensive overkill. A decent 1080p monitor can be had for under $400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.