Would the current MBP be good for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zakoth, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Zakoth macrumors member

I'm deciding on now or next and I don't really think I should wait but would like an opinion. My current laptop crashes while having two tabs and Skype open. The most advanced game I play runs fine on a C2Q.

Is buying now a good option?

2. simsaladimbamba

The current MBP will do fine, but if you can wait till May/June, you could maybe get a newer MBP, if you want.

Maybe your current laptop does not have enough RAM, as even my 2007 Macs could do what you do, except maybe run the games YOU play.

3. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

My father won't let me put more in. I'm not sure if I can live with this for long; the HDD is nearing it's end also.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you buy the MBP on your own, will you be able to upgrade RAM and HDD yourself, or will your father not allow that too?
    Also have a look at the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store to save some money. And don't buy HDD and RAM upgrades via Apple, you can save a lot of money buying RAM and HDD afterwards.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

PS: Maybe show your father how to upgrade RAM and HDD on that laptop of yours, to take some of that ignorance away and show him, that it is not hard (unless it is).

5. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

He won't let me do it because he bought it. He doesn't care if I buy it.

6. simsaladimbamba

Ah, okay. Then good luck with your future purchase.

7. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

So should I buy now or later?

8. simsaladimbamba

If you can wait two more months, wait, if not, buy now.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

With the issues it sounds like you are having, I would personally buy it now because it is harming your productivity.

10. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I'll wait for some more opinions before I make up my mind.

I can't get educational pricing at a retail store can I?

11. yearziro macrumors member

yearziro

yes you can and its the same as the refurbished price and they both come with the same warranty but the new one comes in shiny box where-as the refurb doesnt

12. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks. I don't have the extra £100

13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

It's great because you lives n the same country as me. That makes my advice easier to understand. Lol.

I know yesterday when i was looking at the MBPs in Costco thier MacBook pros were around £917 for the base 13", with the added VAT. and this model is sold by apple for £999. Just a bit of advice to get it from.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused if you are "not allowed" to upgrade the RAM to your current machine are you going to buy a new one? :confused:

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Refurb Late 2011 MBP 13" is £849 on the refurb store. New 2011 MBP 13" with edu discount is £939.60.

Personally, I'd save the £90.60 and go refurb (but that would require online purchase)

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

OP doesn't own "his" current machine, his father does.

OP, the rule of thumb is that you buy what you need when you need it. You obviously have a need for a new computer. Is your need pressing enough that you need it now, or can you wait? If you can wait, then wait. If you can't, then don't.

17. aCondor macrumors 6502

The current MBP will be more than adequate for the needs you have described, although it is a tad more expensive to purchase a new MBP than purchase new RAM.

18. New Apple macrumors regular

for a similar price you might get 'stronger' hw in 1-2 months (saving, if you buy now vs later 2-3-400$ *)

* Ipad3 with retina display, xX time faster graphics and processor same old price

new macs( 'i' and mbp shall get SSD included in the current price, a stronger processor and more ) you might end up spending the same, being already obsolete now, and obsolete 2 times tomorrow

if you were just a 'simple' user, using the machine for normal stuff, i'd buy it now, you dont care about productivity (which needs a strong machine)

but your productivity will benefit from the upgrade, and your wallet too

w a i t, it's NOT 8-9 months, it's soon, if by then you DO NOT like the new models, you get even cheaper 2011 ones.

19. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

Will many 2011 models be available new?

20. New Apple, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

New Apple macrumors regular

i have no idea, but i guess in the whole world there is one for you :apple::D:apple:

*or wait some certain announcement date* like ' new imacs coming out on 16 Jeptember(?) 2-3-6 days before you buy your machine discounted (maybe) and you are in time to return it and go for the newer (a bit of gambling, but you would welcome the 2011 model so you wont go wrong) * be careful with the return timing *

21. kefaith macrumors member

Do u have a spare laptop to use? I am waiting for the new MBP, currently using my gf's 2010 MBA for the next few months till it comes out. If you're like me, able to wait, then I suggest holding out for the new ones. I'm very tempted to jump on the late 2011's but I know I'll be pissed when I see the refresh after buying it for like 2 months or so.

22. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I didn't wait for the refresh and I am more than happy. If you can justify buying the notebook now and not waiting 1-2 more months ( or more, because everyone is really just blindly guessing at the moment ) then there is no real reason why no to get the notebook now.

Even with Ivy Bridge, it's not as if the new model will be 2-3 times faster than the current model and I doubt you'll notice any "real-life difference". You'll most likely not push the limits of the current model on a daily basis either...

If you want to see some "real and visual speed difference" ( no matter the model you pick ) then just make sure you get an SSD instead of a normal HDD ( do not go with the overpriced SSDs they offer on the Apple store, instead buy your own and just swap out the HDD the notebook comes with ).

23. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

Nothing unfortunately.