Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaymac88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
London, UK
I finally want to make the switch to OSX, and I'm seriously tempted by the mini.

I'm just wanting some re-assurance on the issue, it'll mostly be used for word proccesing and general web browsing, but when my 21st roles around I should be getting a camcorder so I would like to be able to do some light editing. I'm not fussed on the gaming front.

So should the mini be suitable for my needs?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes it will fit your needs.

Depends on how much video you want to edit, you might want to upgrade the memory (3gb is current max for latest Mini)

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
A mini will certainly be fine for what you outlined. I would recommend upgrading the memory even if you aren't doing video work.

l2pdrums

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
You'll be fine just upgrade the ram and HD.

I have the base intel mini and upgraded the ram to 4GB and the HD to 250GB.

It runs final cut pro just fine. Your patience will start being tested once you start using FX plugins and many effects.

Jaymac88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
London, UK
Yeah, ill definitely be upgrading the RAM, but ill be getting an external drive which will be sufficient.

I'd probably go for the 1.83 GHZ processor version. I think that should be sufficient for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.