Would The Following Airport Setup Work Well?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryanflucas, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'm helping out a friend with setting up a network. He currently has his cable modem & connection coming in the basement, and connecting to a 5 port Linksys wired router. Out of the 5 wired ports, one is going straight up to an office directly above, one is running up to the 2nd floor, one is going to the kitchen, and another is going to a game room. The other ports are not used.

The connection going to the kitchen is being used by two laptops, but they take turns plugging the line into their machines. What he would like to do is have me install & setup an Apple Airport Extreme (current 802.11N model) with the dedicated line coming to the Kitchen, so they can have wireless in the Kitchen/Dining Room/Deck area. Barring anything I'm overlooking, would this be feasible? Any potential conflicts since this is a wireless router being plugged into a wired router? The section of the basement where the line comes in is on the other end of the house, so they were using wired setups until this point. The walls have swiss cheese type constructions made of metal sheets. It's hard to explain, but wireless signals tend to die quickly, so getting access in the Kitchen/Dining Room and the close outside deck would be enough. The rest of the building would stay on wired connections.

Machines:
    -- Office: IBM Thinkpad (Pentium III) using wired connection. (possibly upgrading to a Macbook soon)
    -- Gameroom: Laptop using Vista Ultimate
    -- 2nd Floor (nothing connected, used as an extra wired connection)
    -- Kitchen: PowerBook G4 with 802.11G and iBook G4 with 802.11G. The iBook is OS 10.4.10, and the PowerBook is OS10.3.9.

Internet:
    -- Cable Internet 6mbps

How about multiple networks? For example an Airport Extreme on the 1st floor, another on the second floor, etc. ? The building is 4 stories tall, and they may be interested in expanding the network further.

Thanks!!

2. Reaver macrumors 6502

I would think about going with a APE as my main hub and maybe an extra as a secondary hub maybe sekipping a lvl or you can go with the APE as main and a couple AP expresses throughout the house as access points one for music to a sterio if you want to stream media like that.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I would get the Airport Extreme and wire it into the router connected to the internet as close to the centre of the house as possible, you say its 4 floors, like centre of second floor ish or as close as you can get.

Then once the network is up and running, take the laptops around all the different sections of the house to see how good a signal you get.

Obviously if you get it everywhere then job done, no more wires for wireless computers. If however you have areas where the signal is weak or non existent you could also instal an Airport Express to act as a wireless bridge.

"You can use AirPort Express as a wireless bridge to extend the range of your primary base station (aka the Airport Extreme)" - http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Hope that helps!!! :)