Would the games industry be better with only one console?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 17, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I was listening to 1upYours and they starting having a bitch-fest about the idea of only one console.

If this was actually possible, like one console that was affordable yet powerful yet innovative, etc. Would it be better for say GE or someother big company to make the console and have MS/Sony/Nintendo simply become game studios and make the games for one console?

If this was the case, maybe debating stupid hardware issues would drop off and people would actually concentrate on what really matters: the games.

I thought it was an interesting, although wholly unrealistic, idea.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One potential problem would be that, without competition, where's the push to innovate and develop the console further? I think a one console situation would just cause stagnation, to be honest.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lets say that yeah we decided on one console. the good thing would be games would become better because they could focus on one version and they'd be super competitive with each other for sales.

but like jaffa said, it'd probably slow development a bit and some stagnation hardware wise would/could happen.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No. That removes the incentive to innovate, and more importantly, the incentive to drop pricing. Companies drop pricing to undercut competitors.

Now, if the games industry came out with a STANDARDIZED SET OF HARDWARE, and any company could make their own (so you can buy a Toshiba gaming console, or a Panasonic gaming console, or a Sony gaming console, and they would all play the same games, like a DVD player), that might be different...but gaming is a lot different from playing a DVD, and I don't think such a situation would be feasible.

I think the industry is best with two consoles. I miss the old Sega/Nintendo days. If I could choose, I would say Sony and Nintendo. Despite Sony's recent blunders, if Microsoft dominates an industry they ALWAYS destroy it and monopolize it; I would prefer not to worry about that.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a game player, I thought this would be a good move since 1 system would play all games. Sorta like the PC does now, if you have a good enough system to run everything.

I think it's better having different priced machines. There's no way in hell I would ever spend more than £200 on something to just play video games or watch films. Just as I won't spend more than £130 for a handheld.

I do think there should be 1 expensive and 1 cheap system though, just to get both bases covered.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Does communism work ?

The reality is we are not all created equal. Neither are games consoles.

:eek:

8. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

But what would be the perfect console? Judging by these message boards, no two people would have the same opinion!

I think a Wii with Blue Ray would come close....
    Others would think it would be a PS3 with a Wiimote!

(Wii owner)

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I wouldn't want one company making the console....I like how it is now...I can leap frog over to another console if I'm not in the mood for the other. I don't want to be stuck with that one pushy greedy console maker.

Bless

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(in reply to the question asked)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~!! :eek:

No it wouldn't. Half the mudslinging that goes around here is about the games on consoles (more often than not...consoles/games that the children don't own) so there would still be the playground nonsense going around...that would never change, I don't think so. ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like it if people didn't say I was lieing, then have them proved wrong, then have them completely forget about the whole argument. But nevermind, along with them children who don't own said consoles it's something that likely isn't going to go away ;)

Ps. What about people who don't own the system, yet play them or have regular access to them? Or is it not about what you play but what you spent money on?

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hmm I like Praxis idea of a console standardization. So if all games could play on all systems, much like a DVD player can, would that different? It would encourage hardware makers to create better players for less, much like we see with DVD players.

I know this won't happen, but the idea of it all was interesting.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I completely agree! :D

<]=)

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The problem with it, though, is that unlike a DVD player which can take any set of hardware powerful enough to play back video, game consoles need to execute binaries, so they all have to have the same hardware identically; even minor differences can cause glitches. It also causes problems because you can't add functionality to one player without having to find a way to add it to all the others. And of course, who provides the SDK for these systems?

If done correctly, it could potentially be good, but I think the level of complexity will make it an impossibility without completely rearranging the industry.

Like you said, it probably won't happen :( But it's interesting to consider.