Would the genius bar be able to transfer my stuff to a new comp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Pinkstiletto66, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I'm heading to apple, and I'm going to bring my macbook, and I wanted to know if they could transfer my itunes library, photos, etc? Or is that something I would need to do on my own?

2. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. komoornik macrumors regular

4. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd have to buy one, but I figure I'm already there and they could already do that.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you can use firewire to transfer, you should be able to put the source computer in the "Target Mode" (hold the "T" key while booting) with no need to see anything on the screen. You do the rest from your new computer, which will hopefully have a good screen. :)

I depends on which computers you are using/buying to have a firewire port on them.

-howard

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in my initial response, they can do it for you.

7. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm leaning 80 percent 11 inch air. But they should be able to do it for me.

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Sure you can do it yourself but if you are already buying a new computer ... why not take advantage of some help.

On your new machine think about what kind of backup strategy you will be using. You cannot always depend on being able to get stuff off your current machine in other words ...

9. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, my friend told me to get an external hard drive. On apple its 1000, and I'm like NO WAY. I will need to shop around. I'm new to all of this in a way. I've been a basic person. I use my comp, listen to my music, check my mail, make some movies, thats it. Everything else like computer jargon is soooo new to me. I even came up with the idea to just get my screen working on my old mac, and still keep it to rip dvds if I have to instead of buying a dvd drive. So many ideas I get from reading other threads. If I can recall I only have about 2/3 gbs of music, and that has been over the course of 4 years, and about 1-2 gbs of photos. So, I wonder if I can store all that on a usb.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know which drive you're talking about, but there are hundreds of drives you can buy for MUCH less than that, such as the ones below. It's a good idea to have an external drive for regular backups of all your data.

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
    [​IMG]

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro
    [​IMG]

11. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. When you go to "buy now" when chosing the air, when you scroll down one of the extra buying options is an external hard drive for 999, and up.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a regular hard drive. That's a Thunderbolt RAID system. You don't need Thunderbolt or RAID for your purposes. A USB or Firewire connection to a single hard drive is fine. Also, you'll typically find better prices on 3rd party products by buying them from vendors other than Apple.

13. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oooo. Ok, thanks. Amazon.com and I are best friends, and I think that's what is going to happen. Lol.

14. hfg, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You could buy a bare "USB External Drive Enclosure" from OWC or one of many others, then remove the drive from your broken Macbook and put it in the enclosure. When you get your new computer, the startup routine can migrate your applications and data from the external drive plugged into a USB port.

When you are comfortably up and running with your new computer, completely erase the external drive and use it for a backup Time Machine drive.

This would only cost you $30 total and you would have a backup drive when you are done:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGSU3/

You can probably sell your old computer on eBay for parts, and not including the drive probably won't impact the price you get for it since most buyers are looking for a good logic board and probably don't want a used disk drive for a newly rebuilt computer.

-howard

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple will transfer data for free.

If he doesn't understand why Thunderbolt drive costs $1000, then he's probably not up to taking out a hard drive.

16. daonesteven macrumors 6502

i'm sorry to hijack this post, but since it's about the same topic...

any idea if the genius bar would be able to transfer my stuff to a new comp that i DIDN'T buy at the apple store, say I bought it from Amazon instead?

17. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

If you get a new laptop and it comes with Lion, a USB drive will be painfully slow, depending on if your doing a full backup or not. The minimum external drive to purchase would be a firewire drive.

18. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The OP indicated they probably were going to get the 11" Air which doesn't have a firewire port on it. :)

I have never found a USB drive to be slow under Lion. I do reformat them for OS X, as most come with a "universal Fat32" format similar to EXFat (which Disk Utility can also format) for Windows and Mac compatibility.

The USB drive backup is certainly faster than a firewire backup to a Time Capsule or something similar. The first Time Machine backup is going to be slow no matter how you do it if you have a large and full disk and have a eSata backup port. However, subsequent incremental backups are pretty short.

19. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Absolutely.