Would the i7 BTO option benefit for Unity3D

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fuzzywolf, Jan 17, 2013.

1. fuzzywolf macrumors newbie

Hi.

I am about to order me one of those new Imac 27" AIO computer.
    So far i found out that im going to upgrade to the gt680mx graphical card, 32GB ram (non apple=P), and supply with an 500GB SSD over time (have no fate in fusion drive and think its to expensive considering the prices for SSD nowadays...)

Im only wondering if i should upgrade from the 3,4 i5 to the 3,5 i7.
    Is it worth it?

Are there any downsides to getting i7 instead of i5?

The computer would be mostly used for Web,video editing (unprofessional...),programming(netbeans,Unity3D), Adobe Photoshop and so on.

2. harlex, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

harlex macrumors member

Well I ordered 27 BTO on 17th December with the highest spec apart from not ordering the SSD but the 3tb fusion. If you are doing 3D then you need all the muscle, so a 2tb graphics an i7 also a fusion hdd but maybe a tB external SSD drive would definitely be a requirement. Forget the i5 and i3.

Well as said ordered mine on 17th December and paid for it now it is a month later and when checking the progress I am no further up the chain than I was three weeks ago . I must say I am getting a bit bothered about this and thinking I should go back to a PC which I can build in a day with 2 x 512Gig ssd's also 4 TB 7200 HDD and with thunderbolt with an 4Gig over clocked 3770K chip for less that than iMac and it would run rings around the iMac for power, ok for money I don't get the asphetics or a screen, but I already have 3 monitors.

Apple is taking to long to build their overpriced products, so why do I buy them, well I am not sure, but in reality I like to shop at my local Apple Reseller store and support them, they are a great bunch of guys.

3. fuzzywolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input.

Just sold my pc consisting off:
    Nvidia 670 4GB
    Intel 3770
    MSI Z77 GD80 (with thunderbolt)
    256GB SSD
    Dell U2711 screen
    2x2TB HDD
    Antec P280 case
    Noctua 14 CPU fan

Will not go back to the pc world=P, the imac looks stunningly nice (a little bit important due to it is placed in the guest room/basement living room which is the wifes "zone"...with minimalistic look)

Alternative is a new Mac Pro whenever those get updated...