Would the iPhone screen crack in a black hole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac Sux, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Mac Sux macrumors newbie

i'm sure i'm not the only one concerned about this i mean i know the screens tough but haven't seen any tests with this so plz help

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No.

It would crack before entering the black hole, which is a point source. Given its size, shape, and composition, and assuming we can discount thermal deltas, it's likely that gravitational forces would shatter it at approximately (pulls out paper, does some math) 1.68 times the radius of the event horizon of the black hole in question.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What?? You mean I payed this much for a phone is not strong enough for a black hole? :mad: *throws out iPhone*

4. lambo macrumors regular

I don't think the screen will crack.

The phone just won't exist anymore.

5. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

6. ajwchin macrumors member

Well it can't just magically disappear...

The gravitational force from the black hole would crush it before it enters. Whether it cracks the screen or just crushes it is unknown.

7. markgamber macrumors 6502

Last I heard, Hawking had all but proven that information is not destroyed after impacting the surface of a black hole. So the phone should be good for thousands of billions of years. If his theory includes the eventual evaporation of a black hole via Hawking Radiation (it may have but I'm not sure), then the phone could theoretically last as long as the universe itself, including the screen. Quite a bargain!

Oh...and yeah, the screen would likely crack long before crossing the event horizon.

8. reliantj macrumors 6502

my iphone was built by chuck norris. rules of physics don't apply to my
    phone.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Put one near the Hadron Collider, and in a few years I'm sure we'll know the answer.

:D

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In English please? :D

11. Mac Sux thread starter macrumors newbie

ya dude i was watchin the live feed of it http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
    and that ***** kinda kool im gonna store my iphone in a black hole and hop into my own lil black hole i got by me and then live happily ever after with my iphone i wonder if there is wifi in black holes

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lets see if i can add to this:

If you threw your iPhone into a black hole, you wouldn't see it break. It would freeze in motion as it falls towards the black hole from the time dilation effects.

On the other hand, the extreme gravity will cause it to spaghettify (near-technical term) and the phone/screen will shatter.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Nice.:D

14. iWaldo macrumors member

No, but some lucky person in an alternate universe would get a free iPhone :p

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm not going to lie, my heart rate still went up!

16. reliantj macrumors 6502

3g coverage is bad enough on earth, so theirs will be useless.

17. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I'll ask my brother, who's working on an applied physics masters from CalTech - I mean, he once debated the effects of a werewolf living on the moon with his professor

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the iPhone will "spagettify" (is that right?) before it even enters the black hole so im pretty sure the glass would crack. although the plastic and aluminium will probably which are more malleable will probably keep intact for a little while longer.

19. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Just a quick fyi, yes, you are the only one concerned about this.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is pretty much spot on, though the spagettification (you are correct) would be less than that of, say, a human due to the shortened length of the iPhone in comparison. Glass is nothing more than a slow-moving liquid, so under several thousand gravities, the screen might just "moosh" together like the rest of the components as the iPhone is slowly torn apart, molecule by molecule.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

LOL. not sure about black holes but my friends iphone the other day survived a drop. he dropped it from his hardwood staircase from top to bottom. he's a rich spoiled kid (but not "snotty") and he was hella scared. he doesn't protect his stuff with cases. but when he got it back, no scratches. screen was perfect. the back was fine. mind you, this isnt some carpeted stair, it was hardwood and its one of those spiral stairs. the really wide ones.

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh i reckon if the iPhone was a few light years away from the black hole it would probably be just a massive line/collection of aluminium, silicon, carbon, oxygen and hydrogen etc. atoms. by the time it gets there.

23. markgamber macrumors 6502

It depends on the alternative universe. One of the theories I've heard is that there is an infinite number of alternative universes, one of which is just like this one except that you're not there. Another is just like this except that I'm not there. So there has to be one where AT&T doesn't suck, 3G actually works and the monthly fee is reasonable.