Would the iPod Touch (or the iPhone) be a good substitute for a PDA

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmbillon, Nov 26, 2008.

1. jmbillon macrumors newbie

I am currently using a Palm Tungsteen T5 to manage my To Dos, Contacts and Notes (or Memos) which I sync with the Palm Desktop application that run with Windows (Vista and XP) on my persoanl laptop as well as on my office laptop. I also synch the Password Plus application that I run on y personal computer. The problem is that my PDA is getting old and less and less reliable (the numerous resets I need to perform to keep it alive tells me that I will loss it soon). We are going to swith from Verizon to AT&T and get an iPhone for my daughter and another one for my wife. I am wondering if I either should get an iPhone for myself to replace the Palm Tungsten T5 or if an iPod Touch could do the trick. As a 3rd phone, the iPhone would cost me $40 per month for the AT&T service which I would not necessarily need as already have a cell phone and a blackberry for my company (unfortunately, we use Lotus Notes with is not sucks when it comes to the To Do's and addresses). So, I am thinking that a iPod Touch could work but I am not sure there is a good application out there to do what I need to do. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. It seems that Apple is going to have some special sales going on this Friday, so I am hoping to get feedback by then so I could potentially take advantage of their black Friday promotion as appropriate. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving. Jean-Marie

2. kermit4161 macrumors regular

I just got my iPod Touch a little over a week ago. I've been using it more and more and my data phone less and less. My work pays for the data phone (HTC 6800 PPC). I used to have a Treo 650 and my iPod completely replaced its PDA duties. There are so many apps available... Go surf the app store to see if there are solutions for what you need to do. My guess is there will be more than you will need. I use a mileage app, a couple of networking apps, air sharing, notes, etc.

In other words, i'd say go for it. I doubt you'll miss your PDA.

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

4. jmbillon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiries and for the advices. Thanks to your feedback, I will go for it. Happy holidays. Jean-Marie :)