Would the Iris Pro graphics work for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MidwestNomad, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MidwestNomad macrumors newbie

I'm considering purchasing a new Imac. I don't do gaming and will probably never get into any type of photo work besides downloading photos and organizing them. I plan to mostly watch youtube videos and movies through the cloud. I do have a habit of having many tabs open at once. Would there be any reason I would want to consider the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M vs the Iris Pro graphics? I do like a quick computer, but don't know that graphics would help considering what I will be using it for.

In the past I used the MacBook air as a main computer and it had worked fine for me. In fact I plan on getting both a MacBook air with 8GB Ram 256gb and a Imac with 8gb ram and a 1tb fusion drive.

Thanks

2. MikeChicago macrumors member

Based on what you describe the Iris Graphics will be plenty. You would be better off spending the money on upgrading to Fusion drive. It will have a greater impact on performance and based on your usage it will be the best way to enhance your experience with the new iMac.

3. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Sounds like the iris pro graphics will be more than plenty for your uses.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

You should consider getting the ssd over the fusion drive...if you need more then 256 gigs,just buy a external harddrive to store stuff.

5. MidwestNomad thread starter macrumors newbie

What would make you suggest the 256gb ssd over the fusion drive? Is it because of the speed and no moving parts? I typically don't store much on my computers and have considered getting the SSD, but I have also read of some complaints of them failing at least in the MacBook airs. Figured even with the moving parts I might have a bit better luck with the fusion drive. Am I off in my thinking, so to speak?

6. surroundfan macrumors 6502

The fusion drive is two separate drives 'fused' by software into one.

The issue is that if either of them fail, you're in strife unless you're backed up...

(Mind you, I'm happily running a DIY fusion drive on my mini...)

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Fusion is essentially a 128GB SSD paired to a 1TB rotational platter (HDD).

I'd suggest you go for a 256GB SSD, because the 128GB SSD is slower compared to the 256GB SSD.

You can look up Blackmagic speeds for that.

On my 256GB, I've attached it in a screenshot.

This is on my 21.5" iMac (3.1GHz i7-4770s, 16GB RAM, 1GB NVIDIA GT 750M)

Attached Files:

8. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

And here is a vote towards the Fusion drive over the SSD.

9. MidwestNomad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Would the 1TB fusion drive have the same 128 gb ssd that has failed in many of the MacBook air's?