Would the MB fit my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MauerFan07, Oct 15, 2015.

1. MauerFan07 macrumors member

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2012 15" cMBP for a variety of reasons, the biggest being I'm tired of carrying it around. I'd like a lighter machine, especially since I bring it everywhere on campus. I mainly just use office, web browsers, and light apps. I assume the MB would get the job done, but is 1.2 GHz dual-core powerful enough? Also, do you think the MB could be refreshed before March? I'm not sure it'd make too much sense too buy one now if Apple will release an improved machine in less than 6 months.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

A refresh seems likely with Skylake and all. As for power - it should handle what you do but its also important to look down the road a litle bit. What else could you end up using it for? Will your needs change? Just stuff to think about. IMO the MacBook is a nice machine but is geared towards always-on-the-go users that really need the ultimate in portability. Connectivity is very limited. The specs are somewhat weak even for Apple. For about the same price you can get a loaded up MacBok Air or even a Pro. Both will outperform it hardware-wise.

My two cents. :)

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Did you consider the option for a rMBP 13" ?
    Quite portable but not limited (in terms of power and connectivity) as a rMB.

If you really need a computer for office, web browsing and mobility, the rMB will be just fine.
    No one could say when it will be refreshed.
    February / march are good guessing, but as usual you can't wait for the next wonderfull machine, because there always will be a new wonderful machine.
    You need it now, buy now.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

For office/ web browsing and light activities - the rMB will be more than sufficient. You will just be idling your engines most of the time, if you go for a rMBP. However, you do get a bigger screen on the rMBP's (with the associated weight) for a price not too different than the rMB.

5. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

The MacBook seems fine for your planned usage. Whilst there is a skylake update coming, it mainly brings better GPU performance. CPU improvements are about 20% I believe. I doubt the design of the MacBook itself will change.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

s2mikey has covered it completely. The rMB is a 1st gen. device, a modest try on a new road. I would consider an rMBP instead, or an Air, if you are not into retina display.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say given your stated usage, the rMB is a nice fit.

One point you should consider, is the screen size. I'd just make sure the smaller size is sufficient for your usage, other then that its a handy little machine :)

8. ericv macrumors regular

I have a rMB, based on what you have listed above, I'd say yes it can handle it. That is exactly what I use it for. The only thing you will have to get used to is the 12" screen. At first it seemed a bit small for me but I got used to it.

9. MauerFan07 thread starter macrumors member

If I didn't have an iPhone 6 I'd easily consider an Air, but I'm in love with the retina display :p. I've thought about waiting to see what the second generation rMB is like, because the portability of the laptop is so attractive to me. The biggest reason why I'd look at the rMBP is if I think my usage would change down the line. I'd like to keep this laptop for at least the next 5 years. I'd ideally pair up this laptop with a desktop when I graduate college in a year or so.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

@MauerFan07: If you like the rMB, then I think the wait and see policy is the best option. ;)

11. MauerFan07 thread starter macrumors member

@Ulenspiegel Yup! Especially since my current laptop still functions.

12. MauerFan07 thread starter macrumors member

Going to the Apple store to see this for the first time tomorrow! Really gonna have to prevent myself from impulse buying, haha! Apparently the keyboard takes some getting used to.

13. ericv macrumors regular

The keyboard is a bit different, however I like the feeling and really like the sound it makes.

14. MauerFan07 thread starter macrumors member

Went to look at the 12" rMB and 13" rMBP (didn't impulse buy woohoo!), and I couldn't believe how thin the 12' rMB was! I picked up that up, and then the rMBP and the rMBP almost felt "heavy". I actually didn't mind the new keyboard; I could easily get used to it, I think. The difference in processing power was easily noticeable though, and even though I'm not a power user it still made me feel uneasy. Regardless, the Skylake update can't come soon enough! :D

15. ericv macrumors regular

I wouldn't be able to use the rMB as my only computer. I also have a late 2015 iMac. I use the rMB for travel and home when I can't be at my desk. Nothing heavy though.

16. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

The 12" MB will fit your needs for the tasks you have described but I wouldn't be buying one at this stage because with the current crop of intel chips making an appearance you just know that Apple will be putting one of them in soon and who knows what else they do to the design. Hang on to the cmb for a bit longer if you can.

17. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Curious in what areas you noticed this?