would the new 6970m fit into a 2009 imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arkious, May 5, 2011.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

are the MXM slots any different? probably early days for anyone to have pulled theres apart yet xD

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they look identical to me, so I don't see why it shouldn't work. but of course I haven't looked into any detail.

3. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

yeah that was my thoughts... but then am thinking that on the imac 2011 you can fit a HDD and an SSD, which you cant on the 2009 so its obviously different internally.

but if i add that to my 2009 there aint a great deal difference and i have no use for the new thunderbolt sockets as of yet :p

4. netkas macrumors 65816

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

MXM Type Width Length Module Compatibility Thermal Compatibility Max. Power GPU memory bus
    MXM-A 82mm 70mm A A 35W 64-bit or 128-bit
    MXM-B 82mm 105mm A, B A, B 75W 256-bit

6770 is MXM-A, u can insert MXM-a card into MXM-b slot, but not vice versa, check what imac2009 has

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

ahh okay thanks for that info :) but... if the 6670 is an MXM-A it wouldnt matter if the 2009 is an MXM-A or MXM-B?

now just where to find one xD

6. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

7. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

8. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

I'm in on this. I was looking to do the same. Hopefully someone else has the funds to try it before I do.:cool:

9. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they look virtually the same thing. like i say noticable differences are the power connector thing above it (maybe for a next generation card), and the cooler has a bit cut out the top to make it suitable for the new card (2 chips on the top left of the 2011 model).

10. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

after a look at this photo...

[​IMG]

that shows that the extra power connections above are for the relocated hard drive. they should be a direct swap... wether or not anything will hinder them working is another thing but i couldnt see why they wouldnt? can anyone shed any light on this?

11. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Finally found a site to buy the HD6970 :)

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/W870.html

Does anyone know if i could go to an apple store to order parts? If so where do i find part numbers? The reason i ask is to compare the price.

i shouldnt need the cooler by the looks of it, looks like its just the top corner has a little notch removed, DIY can fix that.

12. nvladik macrumors newbie

Tried that, they don't sell it.

13. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

What iMac do you have from 2009, the early march 24" (what I have) or the late 2009 27" or 21.5" iMac? I have a gt130 and although it is strong enough to play games, I want more without having to buy another mac.

14. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

They sell them at the bottom of the page?

And I have a late 2009 one mate

15. netkas macrumors 65816

wrong photo, on another photo i clearly saw a cable connected to that connector (receiver of power), and cable was coming from psu i think.

and u will need such connector on 2009 imac if u wanna run 6970m

16. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

seems like a ton of work and money -- and a huge possibility that it wont work -- just for a few extra FPS when playing games?

what are you really expecting to get out of this?

why not just sell your iMac and add the money you were going to spend on this frankintosh and apply it to a new iMac?

17. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

yes your right thats the underside isnt it, so that power connector is like the additional power connector on a standard PCI-X slot?

lol i love all the names you guys come up with, fankintosh, hackintosh xD. i dont know really its just to see if it can be done really. im adding the blu-ray drive at the end of the month (thats a deffo), so i thought well if im adding that i wonder if whilst am in there i can add the card, tbh the computer does everything i want it to do... i was thinking more of a future thing. the 1TB will be getting removed and fitted with an SSD in the near future too as now i have the 1TB on the Time Capsule

18. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Sigh. bluray? really?

I wish I had money to throw around like that -- just to get a few extra frames or see a movie just a tiny bit clearer on a really small screen.

Seriously, is there any movie that you say "wow, that was 100X better on BR vs DVD". I mean, the story is the same, the end is the same, but you can see blades of grass vs a clump?

Un-freakin believable.

Now, on a 55" TV, I hear ya.

19. tsugaru macrumors 6502

You'd still want more detail on a higher PPI display like the 27".

I love watching HD stuff on the iMac screen, whether it's Blu-Rays (in Windows, sigh) or HD OTA TV via my EyeTV.

20. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

with respect, i think thats a big load of terd. The iMac 27" has an XHD 1440p screen which is absolutly beautiful when watching any high detail movie. have you ever watched an SD movie on the iMac? it looks perthetic and actually, i feel like i wasted my money by not having the blu-ray. Here in the UK you cant buy HD movies via iTunes... you can TV Programs but they are select few (more recently you can buy a few movies but they are very very few).

My old laptop had a blu-ray drive and i was going to rip all my blu-rays but that would take forever and take up lots of storage. I hear that OS X Lion may support blu-ray too

Yes :) I love watching the movie trailers in HD from iTunes! im yet to watch a full HD movie though lol

21. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

22. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

23. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

OFC :) haha

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Funny that the iMac has a higher resolution than your standard 55" HDTV and would benefit more from HD than a TV.

And yeah OP. I've been completely happy with SD content even on my 46" Bravia for years. But now I have a 1440p display things are starting to look a little low res! And I hope this works out for ya. The 6970 is a superb card. Was playing GTA last night, 1440p with everything set on medium-high for a super smooth 60fps. Looked gorgeous! Go for it :).

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Will the 09 iMac have a large enough PSU for the 6970M? It's a 100w card.