Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I am curious. My MacBook has that 1 USB Type C port. IF I were to purchase that new External GPU Housing, Razer Core, that has a Thunderbolt 3 using a USB Type C port, what would happen when I plug it in? Would it in actually detect the GPU and switch over to it when connecting to a external display?

I looked around and I think I found out that my MacBook's USB Type C port can run 4k at 24/30FPS. The USB Type Port is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 supporting speeds up to 5 Gbps.

Source Site:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204360

I suppose my main reason to want the Razer Core is probably so I can play games at home. I really only play blizzard games since most of their games work on both Mac/PC.

Actually this brings up another question. I have the 1.2Ghz processor, would getting a External GPU boost even help? I know some tasks are CPU and some are GPU. If anyone knows how these things are split up workload wise per processor, I'd appreciate it.

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
I am curious. My MacBook has that 1 USB Type C port. IF I were to purchase that new External GPU Housing, Razer Core, that has a Thunderbolt 3 using a USB Type C port, what would happen when I plug it in? Would it in actually detect the GPU and switch over to it when connecting to a external display?

I looked around and I think I found out that my MacBook's USB Type C port can run 4k at 24/30FPS. The USB Type Port is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 supporting speeds up to 5 Gbps.

Source Site:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204360

I suppose my main reason to want the Razer Core is probably so I can play games at home. I really only play blizzard games since most of their games work on both Mac/PC.

Actually this brings up another question. I have the 1.2Ghz processor, would getting a External GPU boost even help? I know some tasks are CPU and some are GPU. If anyone knows how these things are split up workload wise per processor, I'd appreciate it.

The current Macbook certainly won't support it. It doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. As if the next generation Macbook will support Thunderbolt 3, no one knows except Apple. Many speculation is going on and the thought is that the next Macbook won't support thunderbolt 3 either. Thunderbolt 3 would require an additional chip (I forgot the chip name) on the already tiny logicboard and that simply wouldn't fit.

Fegbert

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
If you wanted to play somewhat intensive games on the rMB, you shouldn't have gotten it. In addition, the Razer Core won't solve the CPU bottleneck.

Ryeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies. It pretty much answered my questions. I bought this computer to replace my old 2009 MacBook Pro 13".

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I agree that the CPU in the MB would make the Razor Core pointless.

But is it a fact that it can't run over USB? Razors info page seems to suggest otherwise.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I agree that the CPU in the MB would make the Razor Core pointless.

But is it a fact that it can't run over USB? Razors info page seems to suggest otherwise.

To use Razer`s Core you need TB3 over USB C, current MacBook does not have this feature as the Logic Board does not have Intel`s new Alpine Ridge TB3 controller. Likely the next gen MacBook will have the feature, equally as others have stated the MacBook`s CPU will definitely be a "bottleneck" making it a poor choice for the likes of the Core.

Personally If I wanted this set up I would go for both the Stealth & Core to ensure no issues. For those with OS X in mind the upcoming 2016 MacBook Pro`s will be a far better option, assuming Apple deems it fit to offer USB C with TB3 or doesn't cripple it to prevent use of the Core etc with W10.

Q-6

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You missed my point, as I wasn't talking about the MB as such, but USB in general. TB is also back compatible, and should in theory support it.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I wondered the same thing when I heard about the Razer external GPU, but I am perfectly fine running Steam streaming with my Asus desktop. The experience is pretty awesome in the home and I have my graphics at the highest levels.

Queen6

macrumors G4
You missed my point, as I wasn't talking about the MB as such, but USB in general. TB is also back compatible, and should in theory support it.

As there is no TB3 controller, there is no way for the external dGPU to function, it not a matter of USB, it`s the lack of TB3 that is the crux of the issue. For those wanting an external dGPU (myself included) you need to ensure that the systems has TB3 on top of USB 3 or you will have two expensive devices without the desired functionality :)

Q-6

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
As there is no TB3 controller, there is no way for the external dGPU to function, it not a matter of USB, it`s the lack of TB3 that is the crux of the issue. For those wanting an external dGPU (myself included) you need to ensure that the systems has TB3 on top of USB 3 or you will have two expensive devices without the desired functionality :)

Q-6
But where do you get the information that the Core requires TB3?

Queen6

macrumors G4
But where do you get the information that the Core requires TB3?

Razer`s site...

"The Razer Core is the world’s first true plug and play Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) external graphics enclosure, allowing you to transform your notebook into a desktop gaming experience. Featuring plug and play support with compatible graphics cards, you won’t need to reboot your system every time you connect your Razer Blade Stealth to Razer Core. Connect to the future with the most advanced and versatile external desktop graphics solution available."

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-stealth (need to click the Core link)

Sorry I have been looking at external dGPU for some time so thought it was given that all would know that TB2/3 is mandatory for the same. TB3 simply makes it far more practical and cost effective, equally it won't be cheap.

Q-6

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Q-6 has it right. Not going to happen.

USB-C and Thunderbolt are going to be really interesting over the next few years, but I've said from the beginning that there is going to be a lot of consumer confusion with plugs that physically fit but are technically incompatible.

Reactions: JTToft and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Q-6 has it right. Not going to happen.

USB-C and Thunderbolt are going to be really interesting over the next few years, but I've said from the beginning that there is going to be a lot of consumer confusion with plugs that physically fit but are technically incompatible.

Exactly, it can be confusing given USB C & TB3 are differing protocols, nor is TB3 an absolute of USB C.

Q-6

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Razer`s site...

"The Razer Core is the world’s first true plug and play Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) external graphics enclosure, allowing you to transform your notebook into a desktop gaming experience. Featuring plug and play support with compatible graphics cards, you won’t need to reboot your system every time you connect your Razer Blade Stealth to Razer Core. Connect to the future with the most advanced and versatile external desktop graphics solution available."

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-stealth (need to click the Core link)

Sorry I have been looking at external dGPU for some time so thought it was given that all would know that TB2/3 is mandatory for the same. TB3 simply makes it far more practical and cost effective, equally it won't be cheap.

But they also write this:
By using a single USB-C connection to your notebook, this stellar graphics dock provides you with both data transfer and notebook charging without any hassle.
...Which I interpret to mean that it will also run by USB alone, but that could be me taking it out of context and misinterpreting it of course, although it is a stand alone sentence.

But let it rest, we'll know soon enough, when it reaches the market.

in Cider

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2016
Which I interpret to mean that it will also run by USB alone, but that could be me taking it out of context and misinterpreting it of course, although it is a stand alone sentence.

Sadly, the text is somewhat misleading and it will not run by USB alone.

Reactions: Queen6

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

...Which I interpret to mean that it will also run by USB alone, but that could be me taking it out of context and misinterpreting it of course, although it is a stand alone sentence.

USB-C describes the connection interface type rather than the protocols it may carry. USB-C may carry a variety of protocols which may include USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Thunderbolt 3, etc. etc.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4

NP :) would just hate for people to buy the Core with the expectation it will work with the 2015 MacBook, as it won't.

A closer look at Razer`s Core specifications answers the question unambiguously;
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 00.06.56.png

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.