Would the Retina Macbook Pro replace my 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisIsMe, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I'm thinking about returning my iMac and picking up the new Retina Macbook Pro. I just the screen size.

2. nomanstool macrumors member

as always depnds on what you value most. Do you need portability? If not, and iMac works still serves you well, then just stay with your current setup.

3. thechunkeymonk macrumors newbie

thechunkeymonk

Yep, I agree with nomanstool. I've just purchased the rMBP to use as well as my iMac, as they are integral to my work and I need the flexibility.

I will use my iMac more, as its set up in the office and is more powerful, even if it is slightly older.

But I need to be able to take work home with me, which is where the macbook comes in. I struggle with laptops if I have to use them over long periods of times, so I see it very much as a secondary / casual use computer, but need the spec of the macbook pro for the programmes that i use.

4. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

If you don't NEED the screen. There is really NO reason to buy the Retina. The 2011 lines are still amazing for 1/3 the cost and upgradable. Buy the Retina later when the prices of the screens come down or when the refurbs start popping up.

5. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

I had been in the market for an iMac, but I've decided to go with RMBP + Thunderbolt Display.

6. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I too was strungling with this question.
    My iMac is mainly thre for gaming, but i miss using MacBooks. Since the Retina MB Pro has a decent GPU, is equpeed with an SSD by default and a good CPU i decided to sell my iMac and order the Retina MBP with the money.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Upto you, do you want a 27" display or a 15" display? It really comes down to if you need a portable computer, if not, why would you want at 15" MBPR when you can have a 27" imac?

8. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The iMac has terrible specs IMO. The most embarrassing part is that they put mobile graphics in a "desktop", so why not just get mobile specs in a mobile case? Take the power + mobility with a quad core MBP and external display.