Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Does anybody know if the tablet would have an active digitizer?

An active digitizer allow the tablet to sense the different pressure points on the screen which will come in handy for drawing.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Does anybody know if the tablet would have an active digitizer?

An active digitizer allow the tablet to sense the different pressure points on the screen which will come in handy for drawing.

Or do it in reverse - have a stylus do the pressure sensing. I'd imagine not for now. Could you retrofit it on?

I'm thinking capacative dials, etc could be used though.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Or do it in reverse - have a stylus do the pressure sensing. I'd imagine not for now. Could you retrofit it on?

I'm thinking capacative dials, etc could be used though.

I would a little disappointed if the Apple Tablet turned out to an oversize iPod Touch.

Having an active digitizer would be the buy or not buy factor, since I plan to draw with it.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I would a little disappointed if the Apple Tablet turned out to an oversize iPod Touch.

Having an active digitizer would be the buy or not buy factor, since I plan to draw with it.

All it takes is a hardware accessory maker to do a wireless BT pen that can do this. Would be a bespoke thing though for a bit. Wacom for now? There have been some demos of screens that can do better ranges of pressure sensitivity, but i've only seen 1 demo from a youtube clip.

Wait and see I guess.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
If you're planning on drawing with it, you're best bet is to grab a 12" Wacom Cintiq instead of banking on the tablet...

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I've wittered on about it in other posts, but drawing input like a cintiq would absolutely be a killer app for the tablet. Their photoshop brush blotch invite might even be suggesting as such.

In fact I'm so enamoured with the prospect now that I know I'll be disappointed when they announce an ebook reading internet device that can skim through your iTunes library and act as a Front Row remote. boring

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Looky here:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ils-advanced-light-laser-pens-for-tablet.html

6a0120a5580826970c01287.jpg

The stylus can do the pressure sensing. Apple seems to have patents on Styluses - they aren't ruled out (nor are touch sensitive iMacs...

The Magic Mouse has it's own updates on new directions for it -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.