Would there be a market for an "iPad Mini Pro"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Solomani, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Serious question. I just really love the size and form factor of the Minis. While I'm sure the 10.5" Pro is a nice slate, it's just too big for some of us who don't want to lug such a big backpack or case needed to carry that device.

A Mini (a tablet sized 8" or under) Pro would be something I just couldn't resist if they added it to the line. I don't really even need a backpack. It could easily go into my compact messenger bag (e.g. manbag). And women could easily slip one inside their handbag/purse. Heck, the Mini (sheathed in protective case) would even fit inside most car glove compartments! That cannot be said for 10 or 11 or 12 inch tablets.

Am I the only one dreaming of this?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I want one. Alas, we're probably a niche market.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've heard a wish for it multiple times this week. I direct them to feedback at apple.

My daughter would probably love one as a sketchbook on the go.

4. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Hmm…. anyone have the direct link for Apple product feedback? I have a hard time finding it.

5. jm5309 macrumors regular

I would buy it in an instant. I have no interest in a large iPad anymore. The mini is it for me.

6. OKLY macrumors member

OKLY

There will be people who would love it but I'll be grateful if Apple just refresh it with newer A9 chip for now.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I would love a new "mini" with as big of a screen as Apple can fit in the current sized body, but preferably shorter as the top/bottom bezels are much larger than the side bezels.

I don't want something that looks like this.

[​IMG]

8. Check 6 macrumors regular

While perhaps a small market a new and updated Mini would be welcome by pilots. It has evolved now where the vast majority of pilots carry electronic charts in their cockpits and use programs like Foreflight for flight planning and supplemental navigation as such the iPad has become a standard. That said space in a cockpit of general aviation aircraft is always at a premium and the Mini services the need yet is not so large as to block clear view of the instrument panel. However a faster Mini than the (4) series would be great as the refresh rate on the current mini is slow. A faster processor and state of the art graphics would be welcome.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I've always wondered if Apple would adapt the pencil to phones and minis.

10. epca12 macrumors regular

IMO as it stands today, the pencil is too large and the screen is too small to have support on the phone

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Doubtful. The Apple Pencil was primarily designed for larger displays with sketching and editing in mind. I also think the Apple Pencil is to large for the iPhone display. It would need be to be smaller.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'm honestly just glad Apple made a Pencil after all the years they(SJ specifically) stated "stylus" isn't how a handheld device is meant to be used...or something along those lines.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Maybe they'll actually get a mini pencil or something for iPhone. Using numbers and manipulating cells is a serious PITA for me and my fingers on the iPhone.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think the problem was precisely that there was too big a market for the iPad mini. That too many people were buying the iPad mini over the larger iPads, which were in turn driving margins down.

That said, I believe many people were attracted to the iPad mini because of its price, so I am not sure how much demand there would be for a pricier "iPad mini pro". A Smart Keyboard would make for a cramped and awkward typing experience, for one.

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I think it would sell especially at a lower price point.

15. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

16. kazmac, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I would buy in a heartbeat, but would split screen & ios11 even work on it? (the display size).

Still hope that Apple updates the Mini with new internals, I think I will watch Best Buy for sales and pick up a Mini 4 when I can. I miss the size and while I adore my 12.9" I know I won't commute with that every day.

17. PBMB macrumors regular

No. :D

I would certainly love an updated mini along the lines of its bigger brothers. And possibly with thinner bezel so that the display gains one inch more in the same physical dimensions.

The mini is simply the perfect tablet to use outdoors and whenever/wherever space is limited. It is much more useful than the current Apple marketing (pushing in the front the big models as light laptop replacements) makes us believe.

18. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I was surprised the mini might get dropped, its a fantastic device. A mini pro might be overkill, but could definitely be a good entry option, especially for portability.

19. epca12 macrumors regular

Well I think they meant on the small phone screen, and as the only form of input but a mini pencil for the phone might be cool.

20. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

21. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I would say yes. The iPad mini already feels like a note pad form-factor wise. Adding Pencil support would make it an excellent writing companion on the go.
    Of course, I have my own agenda as I want an updated mini.

22. ascender macrumors 68020

I've often wondered why they didn't make more of the Mini's form factor once the Pencil was developed in pushing it as a digital notebook sort of device. Perhaps the cost of screen technology for the Pencil would push the price up too much?

23. epca12 macrumors regular

It could be that but also the market probably isn't big enough for them. Or maybe they find that the screen is too small.

24. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Let's not forget about the screen improvements, quad speaker setup, etc. Using my Mini 4 after experiencing the refresh rates on the 10.5 is an eye opener. And split screen on the Mini 4 functions the same as non-12.9 iPads, which is nice.

I love the Mini form factor - if they produced a Mini Pro I would buy it in a heartbeat.